Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need Your Humble Advice...
Mar 10, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob,

Thank you for taking the time out top read my post and I think what you do is simply amazing. It is not often that a physician, not to mention one of your stature and influence would take the time out to educate and guide so many people.

My question is a little awkward. I met a very sweet girl, she is from Korea and I am from the U.S. I want to engage in physical contact but on the flip side, I want to be sure she is disease free. As much as I trust her, this is just something I really can't take a persons word on. I am a single parent and I do not want to risk getting HIV or other diseases by simply taking someones word. I feel terrible and have been contemplating this becasue I know we are at the point of getting physical.

Can you please advise me on how I may approach her in asking her to be tested before we engage in physical activity? or is this just a really bad thing to ask someone to begin with? I hope I am not insulting anyone with my question.

Yours truly,

Brice

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Brice,

No, you're certainly not insulting anyone with your question, and I certainly do not think it's an inappropriate consideration. My advice is to be open and honest with your new gal-pal. Tell her you want to take your relationship to the next level, and to do so responsibly you would like both of you to go and get STD screened together. She may have similar concerns about you Brice! I don't think you should ask that only she be tested. I would advise you go together, even if you are confident of your negative status.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV symptoms and failed PPD test
Next
my pregnant wife of 3years tested HIV+ , and i Testede -

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.