Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV symptoms and failed PPD test
Mar 10, 2010

Hello Doctor, I am a 25 year old male, caucasian that is straight. I have recently had extreme fatigue, sore throat, dry cough, red eyes(pink eye like), chills, and fevers. I never get sick, this is the first time in 10 years or so that i have had more than a cold. I had unprotected sex about 6 weeks ago and these symptons started 2 weeks ago and are finally starting to go away other than fatigue. Before that girl i was with the same girl for over 3 years. I went to the doctor and she is running numerous tests, because i have had weight loss(210 to 180 in six months, but i have excersized and dieted for that, and 6,4 height too) and the doctor said my Thyroid felt strange, i think granualar was the word she used. She gave me a TB skin test, which i failed and just had chest xrays. I don't have an appt with the doctor again for 2 weeks, but i am freaking out because i am reading on the internet that this all points to HIV, especially with the TB test, the other explainations for a false positive TB test don't fit me. With these symptoms and a failed TB skin test, could there be another explaination? or am i just in for a long 2 weeks while i wait to find out. I have alot of anxiety problems already and this is making it skyrocket. The doctor thought Mono was a possibility or even some type of cancer. I know the answer wont be known until tests come back, but i'm freaking out, I have only been with a few girls in my life and am feeling quite unlucky, i know it only takes once.

Stressed out Young Man.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Stressed Out Young Man,

I see absolutely no reason you should take a quantum leap to a worst case scenario based on the limited information you have so far! You may well have something going on, but I very strongly doubt it's HIV related. I can't diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet (although I have my suspicions). I'd suggest you calm down (take a yoga class) and wait for your test results.

I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
you are a great men please help me (part 2)
Next
Need Your Humble Advice...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.