Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Dr. Bob, Please Please just answer one more question
Mar 10, 2010

Dr. Bob, Please just answer one more question, I am very scared and I still have symptoms that I cant explain.

To make sure I understand you correctly. If my hiv/pcr rna test is non detectable less than at 8 weeks, what about where I have read that hiv positive people can show non detectable on a hiv/pcr rna test.

1. If I had not serconverted yet, and I was positive, is 8 weeks too long to show a high viral load, would it have declined by this time or would it still be high? 2. You have mentioned many times in your postings that you suggest a follow up at 6 months. Is 12 weeks long enough to have developed antibodies that would show up on a standard hiv test? Regardless of antibiotics I was taking. Do you feel that 12 weeks is long enough to be conclusive that I dont need to retest. Please let me know your detailed thoughts on this. I still have a rash appearing and weight loss and I am still worried. To help support the great work that you do, I will be making another donation. I really do appreaciate your help Dr. Bob. Please answer my posting, thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Just because you "still have symptoms that (you) can't explain" doesn't mean you have HIV! Remember, "symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who has HIV!

As for your specific questions:

1. You would be expected to have a detectable HIV plasma RNA PCR at eight weeks if you're HIV infected.

2. Yes, 12 weeks would be long enough. Antibiotics do not affect HIV test results or the duration of the HIV window period.

Dr. Bob

Previous
We were worried about you
Next
Anal Mucus: Clean or Dirty

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.