|still very worried (4th time to post)
Mar 10, 2010
hello dr. bob,
I have written to you in the past but there was no reply. i'm writing to you again in the hopes that this time around, you'll answer my post.
4 yrs ago, i was 19 and really stupid back then, i had unprotected oral sex with a male commercial sex worker. i performed oral sex on him. i'm not really sure if i came in contact with semen or if i had sores or cuts back then. i really regret having done that because now i'm dealing with a lot of anxieties about HIV.
i never really given HIV much thought but last Aug. 2009, i had fever that lasted for a day and nausea and lack-of-appetite that lasted for a week. i noticed that my tongue sometimes is white. i try to scrape it but sometimes, it persist. my allergic rhinitis keep coming back too.
so i decided to take an HIV test from a laboratory here in the Philippines last OCT 2009 (4 yrs. after possible exposure), then after an hour, i got the result: NON-REACTIVE to HIV 1/2.
i just really want to ask your opinion re. this matter:
> is the test conclusive of my HIV status? > is an HIV Rapid test still effective in detecting HIV antibodies even after 4 yrs.? > does taking vitamins and smoking cigarettes affect the result of the test?
pls dr. bob, answer my questions... i can't promise you that i'll donate because i currently don't have a job yet but if i do, i'll certainly donate to your Foundation. the work you do is so inspiring and i wish there were more foundations here in the Philippines dedicated to help people living with HIV.
Thank you and God Bless.
SRF, 23, Philippines
| Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Yes, your negative test is conclusive, definitive and WOO-HOO-able.
3. No. However, I strongly advise that you stop smoking cigarettes. If you don't, cigarettes will kill you in a very painful and undignified fashion. Cigarettes are a much greater health risk to you than HIV.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Red Spots After Fingering Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Penis After Protected Anal Sex Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sinus Infection After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- After Being Exposed To Hpv How Long Does It Take For Signs Of Cervical Cancer To Appear
- Can I Get Crabs With Condom On?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.