Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected sex
Mar 10, 2010

I have been engaging in an unprotected sexual intercourse with my partner for almost 6 years. She has always been doing her hiv tests all these years and they always came negative all the time. I decided to go with her the other day and mine came positive and hers negative still. The test that i did with her is called a blood rapid test that took only about 10 min or so. How could i be positive??

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

There are two possibilities:

1. If you placed yourself at risk for HIV (unprotected sex with someone other than your HIV-negative wife or shared intravenous drug paraphernalia with an HIV positive person), you could have contracted the virus.

2. Your "positive" rapid test is in reality a "false positive." It's important to note that a positive rapid test is only considered a preliminary result. It requires confirmation with a more specific test, such as a Western Blot, before the HIV screening can be considered a true positive result. You will need repeat testing, including the confirmatory Western Blot, if your preliminary rapid test (or ELISA) is again reactive (positive). You can read much more about HIV diagnostic tests and about false positives in the archives of this forum.

Dr. Bob

Previous
dr bob please answer this i love you
Next
Worried about Super Infection (BLIPS 2010)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.