Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

painful glands for 5 years (message for worried wells)
Mar 9, 2010

i had two risky encounters traveling in thailand 8 years ago. the first happened in bankok when i had just arrived, i drunkenly had unprotected sex for a couple of minutes before i realised what a stupid thing i was doing. i found out later he was a gigalo. i remained drunk for the rest of the trip. the second time two months later i had a month long fling with the most beautiful thai man. i was very sure to use condoms this time but on the last week one broke and he came inside of me. i have spent the last 8 years sick with worry that i might of contracted hiv. i swear most of these years has been spent trawling through these sites. then 5 years ago my glands start to hurt, all of them. i go to the doctor thinking im going to die in the next couple of weeks ha ha. she reckoned it was nothing and being a white british female i was of no risk to hiv. if only i could of had the guts to tell her how stupid i had been in thailand. so for the next 5 years i told no one, couldnt form any proper relationships with men in fear of them asking to not use condoms or alas have children because i was sure i was hiv. every aspect of my life was affected by hiv a disease i have lived with for eight years. i tried to forget it but the pain in my glands reminded me every day, the amount of times i have checked my tongue and prodded my glands, no wonder they hurt. so eventually i build up the courage to get a test, purely because it had been eight years and i would probably get ill soon if i didnt get medication. it was negative. idiot. i cant believe i didnt get the test earlier. i was 101% sure i had it. no 150% thank you so much for this site. i have learnt so much about hiv over the years. please post because no one should live like this, a life full of fear. thankyou again mel

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I'd like to wish you a long-overdue WOO-de-frickin'-HOO! Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story about your self-induced exile in worried-well hell. Your post (and your 150% certainty!) will fit nicely into our new category in the archives entitled "I'm Positive I'm Positive." As you can probably guess, it's filled exclusively with worried-well-negatives!

Be well. Stay well. Cheers!

Dr. Bob

Previous
prick during an poeration.
Next
just a little of your time part 2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.