Before I get tested and a small donation

Dr. Frascino,

I'm an 19 year old male. It has been a year since I've been sexually active with men. I want to ask you a few questions.

My first possible exposure to HIV and other STI's was back in mid April of last year. I performed oral sex on a homosexual man. After that incident, I started to feel my lymph nodes under my jaw and on my neck during the summer months. After that, I've met a few guys and performed oral sex - but I always with condoms. Then this January, with the guy who I met online and I decided to try anal sex. As soon as he put the condom in my anus, I felt the condom break and immediately pulled it out. So I was exposed for a second or two. Three weeks later, I did not have any flu-like symptoms other than a sore throat, which went away in a week.

This is my sexual history. Can you now evaluate it and tell me if I'm likely to be HIV positive?

Thank you for all you do. I've made a small donation to your AIDS foundation.

Are you "likely to be HIV positive?" No. Your overall HIV-acquisition risk has been very low, although not completely nonexistent. HIV testing is warranted, but the odds remain all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your sexual activities. I would strongly recommend you spend some time perusing the archives of this forum. There you will find chapters devoted to oral sex, HIV sexual prevention, HIV sexual transmission, safer sexual practices and a host of other related HIV topics. You should find the information there both enlightening and reassuring.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month (or longer) HIV-antibody test is negative.

Be well. Get informed. Stay well. Good luck.

Depressed and anxious - 3rd post
To the best doctor (donate)