Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Depressed and anxious - 3rd post
Mar 8, 2010

Hi Doc, I am extremely anxious and depressed. I had a protected sex with a sex worker for a very brief 2-3 mins and made a terrible mistake of touching the condom to see if the tip was intact.I later realised i had some minor skin cuts/peels on my thumb and index fingure which i might have used to touch the condom.this was a brief touch and i washed my hand with soap after that. My symptoms are the following: 2 weeks and 4 days later - joint aches and stiffness (of a very unsual nature - very very stiff) 2 weeks and 6 days later - mild flu and upset stomach.This led to a loss of apetite which lasted about 10 days.I have lost close to 3-4 kgs in this timeframe. I am extremely depressed, thinking that i am 100% sure these are due to hiv and i do not have the courage to get tested.i know this is terrible. I have read a lot of posting and my exposure perhaps is a low risk.But i cant imagine, that the symtoms can simply coincide in the same timeframe (2-3 weeks).i know stress could lead to loss of apetite but would it lead to such a stark loss of weight. Also, I have done CBC, ESR recently and they are fine. Can a CBC, ESR at a 3 month mark indicate abnormalities directing to HIV? Another reason why I am paranoid is coz I had unprotected sex with my gf week after my possible exposure and she started showin symptoms in 2 weeks time of fever (moderate) sore throat (5 days) dry cough and rashes (back) red bumps.. I can't get over the coincidence o the symptoms of this was a no exposure. Hope u understand. Pls reply. Wonder why my post is not being replied. I checked this situation on medhelp and the answer I got is " no risk". A I mentioned I am terrified to do the test. Pls pls reply.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Depressed and Anxious - 3rd Post,

You state that you wonder why your post is "not being replied." You also state you checked your situation on Medhelp and the answer you got back was "no risk." Hmm... Doesn't that give you the slightest clue as to why I haven't responded to your two previous posts?? I absolutely agree with the Medhelp assessment: "no risk!" So even though you are "100% sure" you are HIV infected, I'm 100% convinced the opposite is true.

Sadly you further state you do not have the courage to get tested. Consequently, I guess until you find the courage, we'll never know which one of us is correct.

To briefly respond to some of the points in your post:

1. CBC and ESR tests give no specific information regarding HIV diagnosis.

2. Yes, stress can cause your symptoms, including the weight loss.

3. If your anxiety, guilt and depression persist, consider seeking professional help.

Do write back with your "WOO-HOO I'm negative" follow-up and I'll post it for our readers. In the interim, I'll post this question in our new archives category, "I'm Positive I'm Positive." It's filled with posts from HIV-negative folks like you who are trapped in their self-induced worried-well hell. Luckily most find their way out eventually. Hopefully you too will do so, sooner rather than later.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
hiv dn pcr negative
Next
Before I get tested and a small donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.