ONE LAST QUESTION FROM THE DONATING BOOGER LADY! DOUBLE THE DONATION FOR THE FINAL EPISODE WITH THE BOOGER LADY !! (BOOGERS, 2010) (NASAL MUCOUS AND HIV, 2010)

Dr. Bob,

This booger thing still has me a little anxious.

Let me finish with this question.

Let's assume it was from a HIV+ person.... And let us assume I got it from the door when I opened it to walk to my car,,, Now I actually timed the walk today (Monday). From the door to my car took 2 minutes.

So lets Ssy I pciked it up from the door of the church. 2 minutes to my car. Picked something from my teeth ,, and booger ,,, gone ,,, swallowed like Shamu chunking on a herring.

The size of the red dot was like if you took the end of a fine point Sharpie and touched it to your finger nail. It acutally was on my thumb nail. Nothing was running down it ,,, just stuck there finely. I consumed it,,,,, Ugggh (YUK) --- What are the chances of catching HIV like this?

I am still a bit anxious about this. To most you say nonexistent,,, sometime completely and absolutely,,, Where am I here in this range of catching HIV if it was from somebody who has that? Again being in cold (52 degrees) and a little windy while escorting the booger to my car. Then the Big Gulp!

Please Help me understand a little better once more here,

Thank You, I will Double up on the Donation, Karen

First of all, your assumptions are wildly improbably. Next, your HIV risk is completely and absolutely nonexistent, OK? If my reassurance is insufficient for you to put these ridiculous and totally unwarranted worries permanently to rest, I'd suggest you seek psychological counseling to help you confront and conquer these irrational fears. I'll post some other booger questions below to help calm your jangled nerves and amuse our readers.

Good luck. Be well. (Yes, you are indeed "well.")

Probably the GROSSES question from a Woman (Lady) but I will donate for your answer Please, Dr. Bob Mar 1, 2010

Dr. Bob,

I am really quite a lady but after reading this I don't know what you'd think.

I got cleaned up today (Sunday) and went to church. In the meantime, I guess while I was driving I must have scratched the inside of my nose, must of been with my left hand.

After getting to church, If I remember right, I opened the church door with my right hand, Opened the door in church with my right hand and then took the rope down with my right hand. I might of pulled the seat down with my left hand,,, and sat through the service. .... About 30 minutes later I walked to my car,,, Went to get something stuck in my teeth ,, and right before I put my left thumb into my mouth a noticed a red Spot,,, like a booger,,,, a red dot,,,,, Ugggghhh,,,,, Grossssss,,,,

My question is ,,, after 30 minutes if I would have picked that up form church and not myself..... If it was somebody else's red dot --My question is kind of gross ,,, If that was not anything that came from me ,, but from someone else ( I don't even want to think about it) What are my chances of getting HIV this way? Suppose it wasn't mine and the person who's it was is HIV + ... After 30 minutes of not putting my fingers in my mouth ,, and then I did and it was gone,, (YuK!!) What are the chances of catching HIV from this ,,, if it wasn't mine and somebody was HIV + and it hit my mouth....? Again after 30 minutes ,, maybe longer but I know it was at least 30 and hit my mouth,, HIV this way?

Thank You,

I know it's gross.

Give me a place to donate.

Thanks again, Karen

Hi Karen,

Your question might be a bit unappetizing, but it doesn't even rate in the top 10 for grossest questions posed in this forum! Your worries are unwarranted. Your "what ifs" are very hypothetical. The chances that bloody booger (or whatever it was) belonged to an HIVer are remote at best. Also, HIV doesn't live very long at all outside the body. Hence, as "yuky" as the experience was, it did not pose an HIV-acquisition risk.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at (www.concertedeffort.org). Thank you for your willingness to help those in desperate need.

Be well. Stay well.

nose secretions mixed into food. (NASAL MUCOUS AND HIV, 2009) Jun 25, 2009

Dr. Bob, One of my friend who is HIV positive, i invited him and he was eating spicy food, so his nose was leaking, so he used his left hand finger to clear the nose, and was using the same left hand with a spoonto take the curry from the bowl. I used the same spoon to take curry after wards and ate food. If his nose fluids/secretions fell into the curry bowl and i consumed some of it. Would i be at risk of HIV? Should i get tested. Please answer, i am very worried over this incident.

You're worried that your "virally enhanced" buddy used his finger to rub his drippy nose and then used the same hand to spoon out some spicy curry from a bowl. And you're worried you might have contracted HIV if some of his snot had gotten into the curry, which you subsequently ate. Hmm . . . . Dude (or dudette), your HIV worries are completely unwarranted for multiple reasons:

1. The chances his snot actually made it all the way down the spoon and into your curry are remote at best.

2. Nasal mucous that does not contain visible blood is not an HIV-transmission risk.

3. Absolutely nothing (including HIV) survives in a spicy curry!

So relax Max! If your buddy's boogers wound up in the curry, all it did was add a bit of extra flavor. HIV testing is definitely not warranted! (See below)

Bon Appetit!

Coffee with AIDS and Milk (HIV IN NASAL MUCOUS) Mar 3, 2008

Can I get AIDS this way?

I was at Starbucks and ordered a cup of coffee. After I drank it, I remembered seeing the cashier who poured it wipe her nose with her hand. She may have just been itching it, but if she wasn't and she had mucous on her hand is there anyway I could get AIDS from this? (I am serious and very worried).

Hi Serious and Very Worried,

How many times have I told you the proper way to order your cuppa Joe at Starbucks? Now once again repeat after me: "Venti half-caf, half decaf, extra-hot, non-fat caramel macchiato with one Splenda in the bottom, extra whip, but hold the snot." Gee, now how difficult is that to remember?

So while you're sipping your java with extra boogers, if you were really so concerned you should have checked the archives. As with 99.9% of the questions I'm asked, I have already answered a number of questions similar to yours. (See below.)

hiv in nasal mucus? Aug 12, 2006

Dear dr. Frascino, does nasal mucus contain HIV and can an accidental ingestion of nasal mucus of a person with HIV and not on HAART be at risk? Thank you!

Nasal secretions similar to saliva, sputum, sweat, tears, urine, vomitus and feces are not implicated in the transmission of HIV, unless they contain visible blood.

Out of curiosity, how did you mange to "accidentally" chow down some HIV positive boogers?

nasal mucus Jul 23, 2007

hey dr. bob. first let me tell you, i love your sense of humor, and i think you're a cool guy. and a life-saver too. but i wanna ask you something: if an hiv+ person picks their nose ( which has a little bit f blood in it) and wipes it on something, and you touch it like 5 seconds later, and right after you touch it you wipe the inside of your eye (since the eye has muocous membranes). is this a way iv is transmitted? if so, then is the chance extremely low? please answer and have a nice day. thanks :)

PS: you the doc man.

The chances of transmitting HIV this way are essentially nonexistent, -- as are the chances you'd actually get an HIV-tainted bloody booger in your eye in the first place!

Do Tests Always Trump the Symptoms?
Worried about My Daughter !!