Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Apologetic pest offering financial incentives
Mar 8, 2010

Dear Doctor,

I sent you a question about a possible needlestick in China, ("small puncture wounds" shown on previously attached picture). You probably didn't answer it because you are sick of answering the same question daily for god knows how long- SORRY!, however.... if you could find the time I will of course make a donation to your foundation

: )

I just can't find any pictures of what puncture wounds should look like. It seems small to me, I think most likely a copy-cat with a pin?! (however hypodermic needle size seems to go down to about 100um) As someone moved quickly from behind afterwards, and it is freezing no insects about (and several layers of clothing including a tight coat).

Also, could you elucidate- do 90% of cases show acute infection symptoms or NOT show symptoms. Wikipedia says 90% show, whereas other sources imply most don't.

Yours suspicously and apologetically,

Paranoid

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Paranoid,

I agree with your moniker "paranoid," because paranoia is exactly your problem. Your fears are completely irrational and totally unwarranted. You can read about many similar (and equally irrational) fears in the archives.

I can't confirm the 90% figure. Certainly most HIVers experience some type of acute retroviral syndrome. However, the range of symptoms and severity vary greatly from person to person. You can read about this in the archives as well. Some folks have symptoms so mild they hardly notice them; some folks, no symptoms at all; others, symptoms so severe they require hospitalization. Remember, "symptoms" do not equal HIV infection!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral with blood in receptive partners mouth
Next
Analingus and HIV transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.