Bizarre thing I read in a memetics book

Hi Dr. Bob,

I read recently in a book about memetics, how HIV infection can cause those afflicted to become hypersexual. The author stipulated this would increase the amount of sex infected people have, so the virus can spread to more hosts, all on the virus' behalf.

Although I found it odd to read about such a thing in a book about memetics (not to mention anthropomorphizing the virus), is there any validity in this whatsoever?

Thanks,

Memetics Junkie

Hello Memetics Junkie,

". . . Is there any validity in this whatsoever?" Nope!!! (In fact, it's usually the opposite. Once people know they are infected, they often worry about transmitting the virus to others and consequently have few sexual partners and less sex overall. In addition, when someone becomes symptomatic [sick], they really don't feel like tumbling between the sheets.)

Hi, you say legends can't happen, but why can't it? (URBAN LEGENDS, 2010)
Few points for straight kenny, the "gay accent" connoisseur