Dr. Bob, Follow-Up

Hi Dr. Bob, I truly appreciated your early responses. I'm a male and performed unprotected oral sex on another male. I tested negative at 16 week by an ELISA test. In an earlier response you indicated that you didn't think I had HIV. I'm concerned because I believe I have had symptoms. Whether they are or not, I don't know. The symptoms are white tongue in the morning, a swollen lymp node behind each ear, grumblin noises in my stomch and I may have additional moles or I think I have additional moles. Should I be tested again or do you think I'm conclusively negative. Could I have these symptoms now? I'm at just over 20 weeks from possible exposure. Please help. I have donated in the past and will do so in the future to support your amazing organization.

I have not changed my assessment of your situation. "Symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. That said, the particular symptoms you describe are not worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). Additional HIV testing is not medically warranted. However, if my reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your fears, you could repeat your HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative once again, but if this allows you to put your (unwarranted) worries permanently to rest (where they should be), it may be worth the effort psychologically.

Take a read through the archives of this forum. You'll find many situations similar to yours. You should also find the information and testimonials both enlightening and encouraging.

Thanks for your donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). They are warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that you are now and will always be HIV free.

married man with aids
big mistake in san fran aka some quick questions