Is it ok to move on, Dr? I pray you give me some piece of mind.

Dear Dr. Bob I would like to say that you are tremendous and I would so dearly appreciate your opinion in my situation. I have been struggling to sadly and I don't know what to do. I have had 4 unprotected exposures that I am concerned about. All with men of unknown status, and one possibly high risk. I have had my share of HIV antibody test. Here is my problem Dr --- I have been falling ill alot, not just with colds, with lots of viruses, really often. I have been tested by my doctor for ig antibodies. My 4 main Ig levels were all within the given normal range, but barely so. Those are all just above the lowest normal. My doctor seems to be quite sure that this would not alter my negative HIV antibody test, but I am so afraid for my family. I have such a precious baby and I'm worried now that all my tests could have been false. My doctor says we should check my levels again in 6 months, and that they may just hover at the lower level normally, but they may also drop and then I would need to see a specialist so it could be a deficiency. What is your opinion please, doctor? In your expertise, do you think neccessary to push to have an antigen test? Or since my levels are within the normal levels does that make my antibody tests reliable for HIV testing? I know you are very busy, and I truly respect and admire all you do. If you could please give me one answer on your opinion, maybe it could help me rest until I have more answers. Thank you so much. All my love Sick and Unsure

Hello Sick and Unsure,

I agree with your doctor. Your low-normal immunoglobulin levels would not affect the accuracy or validity of your HIV-antibody tests. Remember normal is normal (even if it's low normal!). I see no reason for additional, more specialized, testing or for any concern whatsoever that your recent illness might be HIV related.

Pregnant & Crying= HIV?
3 Antibody Tests negative, still worried (going back to country on February 27)