Artificial Insemination vs. In Vitro Fertilization

Hi Dr. Bob,

My question is about starting a family through artificial insemination versus in vitro fertilization. I searched the archives and was unable to find an answer (or perhaps the answer I was seeking), so I apologize in advance if you or someone else may have already answered this.

My husband is positive and I am negative. We found out he was positive after about six months of trying to conceive our first child. Weve known his status for about 10 months now, and through some miracle I am negative (or pure science that I probably did not become infected since he had a very low viral load). Based on my research I have only been able to find information on clinics doing in vitro for serodiscordant couples. So, is it possible for a couple to conceive via artificial insemination, or is it only possible through in vitro (which is much more expensive)? Or, can it be done either way, but that in vitro is safer?

Thank you for reading my question. My husband and I really appreciate it.

Sincerely, Mrs. X

Hello Mrs. X,

It is possible to conceive via artificial insemination or in vitro fertilization. Utilizing newer techniques of sperm washing combined with potent combination antiretroviral therapy, both methods, artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization, are now reasonably safe. I would suggest you ask your husband's HIV physician specialist for a referral to an HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician in your area. Medical centers that have considerable experience treating HIV/AIDS are usually well equipped to help with situations like yours. You can read additional information in the archives about some of the newer techniques devised to help magnetic couples conceive more safely.

swollen glands on pep