I would love to WOOHOO! but I'm at a stand still WOOHUH?

Hi Dr. Bob, I feel I have a very unique situation. I am a heterosexual female had a stupidly unprotected encounter with a very promiscuous male. I say very promiscuous because he works at a hotel I was staying at....HELLO!!! Twenty four hours after the encounter I spiked a fever that quickly went away. After that I had an intense itching and burning in my genital area. My OBGYN tested me for every STD known to man which all came back negative and concluded that I had a yeast infection. A week later,two weeks after the incident I had a low grade fever for a week and then a dark rash at three weeks. Between this time, I also had shingles up both of my legs and horrible uticaria. My skin bruised just by touching it. This was followed by nausea, sore throat, oral candida, fatigue and mylagia so bad that I thought I was dying. Obviously, I was textbook for ARS. I went straight to an ID doc at Cleveland Clinic and results were as follows. At five weeks I had a negative ELISA test as well as a nonreactive DNA by PCR. At eleven weeks I had a negative ELISA and an undetectable viral load. ( I also tested negative for every other virus under the sun....from CMV to HV6 to EBV(only indicated a past infection). Well, Dr. Bob, this is the problem. I still have oral as well as vaginal candida, confirmed by my dentist and OBGN. Also, half of my hair has fallen out. With all of those tests and reading your forum, it sounds as though you would consider me conclusively negative, BUT HOW COULD I BE? I undoubtedly in my mind went through ARS. You would know as well as anyone being that you had 9 out of 10 symptoms too!! I plan to retest at 6 months which is what you are going to advise I'm sure, but will you please post this so that if and when I do test positive, people reading this forum will retest as well. We can save some lives from both a physician and a patient perspective.(My doc said I didn't need retested). May I just add that through this hell that I'm in, you've brought me a lot of laughter! Thanks Dr. Bob!

Hello WOOHUH,

Sorry to hear you've been having such a difficult time! However, I agree with the doctor at Cleveland Clinic. You are HIV negative. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are medically warranted.

You ask: "BUT HOW COULD I BE (negative)?" The answer is quite simple. There is another cause of your symptoms. Lots of other things can go wrong with the immune system other than HIV infection! I'd suggest you see a board certified clinical immunologist for the next stage of your evaluation. The Cleveland Clinic should be able to refer you to someone in their medical center. I'll certainly post your question, but not because of the prediction that you'll eventually seroconvert to HIV positive. Rather, quite the opposite. I'll post your question in our new category, "I'm Positive I'm Positive." It's filled with folks who assumed they were HIV infected, but eventually accepted the reality that they were not!

Finally, I'm glad you enjoy my admittedly twisted sense of humor!

Good luck. Be well. Keep me posted.

Correspond with "Mommy of Three"
Thank you DR. Bob (scard dad and husband)