Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Positive/Negative
Feb 22, 2010

I have recently met the most beautiful man. We have been slowly and perfectly falling in love for the past 7 months. I have been HIV+ for about a year and a half. I am not on medication and my CD4 is in the 700's. My viral load fluctuates between 5,000 and 18,000. We have not had sex yet, he is negative. He is a top, I am a bottom. I am considering getting on medication to make my viral load undetectable for his safety. I am wondering if I am a positive bottom and he is negative and a top, and I am on medication, is okay for us to be having unprotected sex? Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Unfortunately no, it is not. Certainly driving your plasma HIV RNA viral load to undetectable levels with effective combination antiretroviral therapy will significantly decrease the chances of HIV transmission, but it does not eliminate them. Condoms are still essential for all penetrative sex. Without them, you're playing sexual Russian Roulette with your "most beautiful man's" health. I strongly suggest both you and your Mr. Right read through the chapter in the archives of this forum devoted to magnetic couples. Please note, I, too, am involved in a magnetic coupling, and I can tell you from our 16+ years of experience, "happily ever after" does exist for magnetic couples, including hot, fusion, wake-the-neighbors, toe-curling sex!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
That you included me... Then asked if there was anyone who could help me... How BLESSED am I to know such a wonderful man!!!!!
Next
Correspond with "Mommy of Three"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.