SCARED LITTLE KID -- I JUST WOKE UP IN A SWEAT.

Dr. Bob,

I hope you look at my last post. It is 3:30 am here. I just woke up in a little sweat and anxiousness...I see you got some people some answers. You must be busy... Please don't forget me. Could this be a symptom from what I explained in my last post

Hopefully you will find it,

Thank You, Scott

Hello Again Scott,

You are correct you woke up with anxiety . . . not HIV! I'm a bit concerned about the degree of your anxiety and fears. If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your irrational worries once and for all, I'd recommend you seek counseling to help you confront and conquer these unwarranted fears.

Now turn the computer off, roll over, stop worrying, and get back to sleep!

SORRY DR BOB -- THIS IS BETTER - I MADE SOME SPELLING ERRORS -- SCARED LITTLE KID Feb 21, 2010

Dr.Bob,

It is Saturday Night and I am writing to you. My mother said that I should write to you directly so I get the answer directly from an expert.

I was at a ice cream shop and the lady behind the counter was helping me out. I seen that she had a band-aid on her finger and it kind of freaked me out. I was so scared that I did not even eat the ice cream.

I started to talk with her. She is 18 yrs old and I asked her what happened to her finger. I pointed to it and accidently hit the band-aid with my first figer ( pointing finger ). Now I'm really freaked out because I touched the band aid accidently. She had said on Thursday ( remember this is now Saturday Night) her skin pulled back and she was wearing a band aid because she was around the ice cream. She took the band aid off at that time. I looked at her finger and saw nothing but a nick where she said it happened.

My fingers are just cracked and dry. I also chew on them so they are not always in the best shape. I DO NOT have anything covering my hand or finger - Like no band aid or nothing . Just bare handed.

I am freaked out and scared Dr. Bob, because I BARE HANDED accidently touched this girls band aide. Let's assume the woman is HIV + and I touched her band aid. Again, my fingers are not in the best of shape and I was wearing nothing on mine. What are my chances of getting HIV?

I will await your answer. I will believe you because you are the doctor. What should I be worrying about here?

Should I ask my mom to get tested over this? I just don't know my chances of getting HIV like this. Is HIV my problem? Again assuming she is HIV +

I do work part time and will make a donation if you tell me where to send it.

Please get to me quick Dr. Bob. My anxiousness gets worst every day. I am avoiding my friends right now so I don't give anything to anyone.

Thank You for considering helping me,

Scott

DR. BOB -- SCARED LITTLE KID AGAIN, IM SNEAKING OFF TO USE COMPUTER AGAIN (Submitted Feb 20, 2010)

Dr. Bob ,,,

Remember ,, I didn't touch this womans skin when I pointed at her finger, I only touched her band aid.Will I catch HIV like this assuming she has HIV + ?

Thank You,

Scott

Hello Scott,

I'm glad your mom suggested that you write to me. As it turns out, "Mother knows best." Your HIV-acquisition risk from "bare handed accidentally touching a girl's band aid," even if she was HIV infected, is exactly zero! Yep, that's right; zero, zip, nada! Scott, if HIV were transmitted that easily, it would have wiped out the planet years ago. I'll repost below some information from the archives that references other non-risk situations and then reviews exactly how HIV really is transmitted. You should also take a look at the other information on this site. You obviously have much to learn about exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. Please feel free to share my response with your mom.

Just to be absolutely clear: Your HIV risk is completely nonexistent. HIV testing is not warranted or recommended. HIV is not your problem! No way. No how!

Epoxy Resin (HOW HIV IS TRANSMITTED, 2010) Feb 12, 2010

Hi im 14 and had a question. my friend told me that epoxy resin that you make jewelry with, causes hiv. my mom told me shes lying and that shes just jealous because a lot of people like my jewelry. is this true? my mom said she will send $20 to your foundation if you could make me feel a lil better. thank you doctor robert.

Your mom is correct! Your friend is either really dumb, misinformed or viscously jealous! You might want to reconsider that friendship if she really is knowingly lying to you. See below for a similar concern (involving chewing gum) and a discussion on how HIV is and is not transmitted. Feel free to share my response with your mom.

Be well.

12 years old and i have a question about chewing gum and hiv. i will donate $20 (HOW HIV IS TRANSMITTED, 2009) Nov 25, 2009

I was sent here by my mom. she said you'd be able to help me out. My uncle just got diagnosed with hiv and since that ive been so afraid of it. here is my question, i was visiting my cousin's college campus and he took me in one of his classes. I pulled up a desk and felt a piece of gum someone had stuck under the desk. I had just cut my finger yesterday really bad with a knife (it was deep)

is there a risk if the person that had chewed the gum had hiv and bit their tongue or cheek then got blood on the gum and then i rubbed my finger on the gum and the blood got into my cut?

my mom says she will send you $20 so you can help, because she thinks i need to hear this from someone else because i wont listen to her. please help me.

HIV cannot be transmitted from pre-chewed gum. There are only a few ways HIV can be transmitted:

Sexual transmission. Unprotected sex between a person infected with HIV and an HIV-negative person.

Blood exposure. This can occur through injection drug use when an HIV-negative person shares syringes with an HIV-positive person. Blood-exposure transmission can also occur if an HIV-positive person is actively bleeding and fresh HIV-positive blood comes into contact with an open wound in an HIV-negative person. (This would involve blood-to-blood contact.) HIV can also be transmitted through blood transfusions, although this risk is virtually non-existent in places where the blood supply is screened for HIV.

Childbirth and breastfeeding. HIV-infected women can transmit HIV to their infants during childbirth or by breastfeeding.

HIV is not spread through contact with saliva, urine, sweat, feces or pre-chewed gum! And it is not transmitted by mosquitoes, exposure of blood/bodily fluids to intact skin, kissing, hugging, holding hands, handshakes, sharing drinking glasses or eating utensils, or mutual masturbation.

So, I'm siding with Mom on this one. No risk? OK? Don't be afraid of your uncle or of chewed gum. Once you learn the facts about HIV, it becomes much less scary.

Be well!

unprotected sex,no ejaculation
Facial Nightmare - Part Two - Whoops - I forgot to leave my e-mail so - I post a 2nd time