Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Trying again 4th time, Will give a donation!
Feb 21, 2010

Hi ( I am from scandinavia so my english might not be all that good). I will try to make my questions short and precise: A guy who I think has HIV came and talked with me, we stood in the door opening. He had some blood stain after scratching open a pimple on his cheek. I asked him about the blood, he said he did that at least 20 mins ago. But I don't know how accurate that is. He held onto my door for support (he is lazy).Then he touched the blood with his pointing finger, before he went back to supporting himself against the door again.

I am very nervous for HIV. So I sprayed the area of the door with a cleaning agent used for cleaning windows and mirrors. It was a "refill" so you don't have to buy the whole bottle. It didn't seem to be quite as powerful as the non refill one. According to the declaration it contains: <5% aionic tensides, parfyme and benzyl alcohol. I let that stay for approx 30 seconds to a minute before I wiped it off with paper towels. I didn't wear gloves. Some of the fell onto the floor, wet with the cleaning agent and possibly some blood. I picked them up with my pointing finger and thumb. They did not have any scars in them. The problem does not start until I start washing my hands. When I start the tap I realize that the pointing finger on my right hand has come in contact with the finger between the long finger and the smallest finger on my other hand, this has happened while I was rubbing soap to my hands (the finger tips were not soap covered when I was doing this) That finger had two very small dots where the skin was broken so it may have bled earlier in the day, but it had now the thiniest crust on them, that you can imagine. The skin was damaged because it had dried out because I am a frequent handwasher.

How likely is it that HIV can survive all this and get into my bloodstream? Surviving on his chin for 20 mins Being transferred from his cheek to my door Surviving the treatment with the (mild) cleaning agent Being transferred from my door to the paper From the wet paper to my fingers From my fingers to the skin damage?

I know this might be close to zero, but how close.

Would the result be different if the blood was fresh from his chin, because I don't know if he rubbed up more of the blood when he took on his chin with the pointing finger.

I promise I will never again ask HIV related questions if I get an answer to this and I promise I will go and get a HIV test immediately if you tell me to do so.

Thank you for your precious time

Worried in Scandinavia

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried in Scandinavia,

Your HIV risk is not "close to zero;" it is zero!

"I am frequent handwasher." I certainly don't find that surprising. I would guess you have other obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) tendencies as well. Right? Yeah, I thought so.

HIV testing is not warranted or recommend; however, I would suggest you consider getting psychotherapy (counseling) to help with your irrational fears and OCD.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Whats the risk doc? Help me, i can't sleep! potential donation!
Next
Update from 2004 3 lives in danger one is daughter

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.