The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Repeat of previous unanswered question re: relative risk of certain sex practices in magnetic relationship

Feb 21, 2010

I sent this question in a few days ago and haven't seen a response as of yet. I know that "relative" risk is not an easy thing to determine. However, it would be very helpful for me (HIV+) with undetectable VL and no other STD's to explain to my HIV- partner exactly how safe/unsafe (relative to unprotected oral) it is for me to insert my unprotected penis into his anus. I have no precum to speak of and I only put my penis in for 5 minutes, just long enough for him to get off. Can you help us to determine the relative risk of this behavior? I will say that this is behavior that has been in the past but will not be done from now on.

Response from Dr. Frascino


The CDC estimated per-act risk for unprotected oral sex versus unprotected receptive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures versus 50 per 10,000 exposure respectively. Therefore, the relative risk would be a hundred times greater. Unfortunately, we don't have a way to factor in many individual variables that could affect a specific coupling, such as viral load, concurrent STDs, trauma, immune integrity, viral strain, genetic factors, etc. The bottom line is that anal sex is much, much riskier than oral sex!

Dr. Bob

Follow up to "I need your help !!"
Facial Nightmare - I would like to donate.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint