Follow up to "I need your help !!"

Dr. Bob,

Thanks so much for your response (re: Feb 19, I need your help!) and for the good karma you sent my way! Your perspective certainly gives me hope! I wanted you to know that I sent my donation as promised and, again, thank you for this service that you provide. Its an amazing resource for people like me who are just honestly worried about their health. As I start the long 3-month wait for my test, your insights are going to help me keep things in perspective. If you wouldnt mind answering one last question, I would be very appreciative.

How could it be possible for me not to acquire HIV if blood that was HIV + got in my mouth? This is the one question that has kept popping into my mind. The info that I came across that had upset me so much said the membranes inside of the mouth are susceptible to transmission. I have felt that because blood was present, there is no way I could have avoided transmission. I have received more info on my tonsil hockey partner and Im now pretty positive he is HIV +. Any additional info you could provide on this would be very helpful to my understanding of the whole situation.

P.S. I am going to call it quits on the internet surfing, self-diagnosis, etc. Ill let you know what happens with my test.

As I mentioned in my initial response (see below), you don't know if your buddy was virally enhanced or not, and you don't know if he has a high viral load. Plus the amount of blood was small and the contact with the inside of your mouth was brief. Also please note, the vast majority of HIV exposures do not lead to HIV transmission. Taken together this makes your overall risk quite low, putting the odds all in your favor that you did not contract the virus. Your three-month HIV test will give you a definitive result.

Thanks for your thanks and for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated. Use the three-month window period to learn more about HIV. This Web site and its archives hold a wealth of information. Have a look around!

Good luck! I'll be looking for your WOO-HOO!

I need your help !! Feb 19, 2010

Dr. Frascino,

First off, thank you for this forum. I just discovered it yesterday and I'm very glad I have this opportunity to get a doctor's opinion. I will be sure and make a donation to your Foundation.

I am very upset and my fear is tremendous, almost unbearable. I'm a guy in my mid 30's. Two weeks ago I was with a guy I had recently met. After only a few seconds of open mouth kissing I tasted something and stopped. I went to the bathroom and saw some blood inside my mouth on my front tooth and gum. Not a huge amount, but definitely noticeable. I wiped it off and kind of freaked out. I grabbed some rubbing alcohol and swished my mouth out. The guy had brushed his teeth about 10 minutes before, so probably his gums were bleeding from that.

I was trying not to worry too much, but the other day I read something on the internet that really scared me !! My anxiety level went sky high. I then asked the guy to get tested. He would not commit and acted like he was hiding something. This makes me fear very strongly that he is most likely HIV +.

Assuming he is positive, please let me know what you think the risk is here for me. I am experiencing fear that I have never felt before. I sincerely thank you for your thoughts.

If indeed your buddy was positively charged and if he had a high viral load and if he bled a significant amount into your mouth, there would be at least a theoretical risk for HIV transmission. However, please note that's a lot of "ifs."

To calm your fears, I'd recommend getting a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The odds remain all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this unfortunate bout of tonsil hockey. Take a read through the archives of this forum. You'll find other scenarios similar to yours. You'll also note HIV transmission did not occur in those cases.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test is negative. I'm quite confident it will be!

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, OK?

you never needed any cool points
Repeat of previous unanswered question re: relative risk of certain sex practices in magnetic relationship