Your Blog

Dr. Bob,

Just wanted to say I enjoy reading your new blog. For those who haven't read it, your last blog was about whether HIV is really a chronic managable disease. I think many of us have wondered the same thing. I'm pretty new to HIV and luckily haven't had to start meds--yet. I'm told I will live a long life and it will be no big deal. Then, I read stories about people with so many health problems like the ones you talked about. I suppose many would say those are older folks who've been on many regimens and it really will be different for younger people. Whoever is right, I think it is a good discussion.

You also mentioned HIV prevention in terms of thinking this is just a chronic/managable disease. I was just talking to someone about this tonight before reading your blog. I think many of us and many young people out there didn't/don't worry so much about HIV, because we thought/think it is no big deal anymore. My generation (under 30) probably didn't have too many people we knew who were poz. Well, at least that we knew about. We don't see our friends dying of AIDS. Also, I can remember some study of either people in the whole U.S. or Washington D.C. (think just D.C.) where something like 20% believed there was a cure for HIV.

Just wanted to let ya know I enjoyed your blog. Looking forward to the next one.

I anticipated my comments would stimulate some discussion and that indeed seems to be the case. I'm hopeful both the blog and the comments the comments generated will be enlightening to many who have the opportunity to read them.

Your personal story, and that of your young friends who grew up thinking HIV was "no big deal anymore," lends support to one of the key themes that I plan to write about in part II of "A Chronic, Not Always So Manageable, Condition."

Critical question
Pricky pain in the anal area