Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Saint to Sinner Part VI
Feb 18, 2010

Hey Doc Went to therapy and it went okay. He doesnt know much about HIV. He said he doesnt know much about testing either. Can you just tell me in your professional opinion and then I am letting go of this once and for all. There is no reason at all I should follow up with an a ELISA test just to make sure? You are confident that the rapid tests are sufficient? Still have pain under arm which is making this hard to let go of. If I felt great then it will all be okay. Just wanted your years of experience to tell me what I already know. ELISA or no ELISA? Last email I promise...Love ya DOC

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

My opinion hans't changed. However, should you decide to have another ELISA, I have absolutely no doubt the result will once again be negative, just like all your previous test results. I urge you to continue with your psychotherapy. You need it much more than another bunch of negative HIV tests. Donate the money you would have spent on additional unnecessary testing to the charity of your choice. You'll feel much better about yourself, plus you'll be helping those in need.

Dr. Bob

Hi Saint to Sinner back (SAINT TO SINNER part V) Jan 30, 2010

I made an appt for a shrink to talk to but cant see me until February 12th. I just went thru my dates and have the offical times of my test. Since June 5th when the insertive oral happened by male massuer I tested 6,8,10, 12, 14, 18, 24 weeks all rapid finger pricks. I know I know you are going to say I am negative, but still have painful armpits and now a cold. I made an appt for one more rapid test tomorrow. That will be almost 8 months. Then I am done. It just cant be out that long. But so scared to go tomorrow. Please just let me know...there is no way it could change right? I just need to hear it. Going tomorrow at 12:20 pm. Wish me luck....embarrassed as I write this. I am not a freak, just a scared lonely Italian guy...Bye my friend...

Hello Lonely Italian Guy,

I agree with the "shrinking," but not the "testing." The former is definitely warranted; the latter is not. Your unnecessary and highly excessive eight-month test will undoubtedly be negative, no matter how scared you are. It doesn't matter at all whether you go for the HIV test, but don't you dare miss that appointment to get shrunk!

Dr. Bob

You went from Saint to Sinner Nov 15, 2009

Dr. You answered a guy who wrote about his oral sex with his partner on November 13 "oral transmission". The one giving oral has HIV. You said his partner should test at 3 TO 6 months. WHY??? You always say insertive oral sex is not dangerous. I had a 4 month test and you said conclusive. Why do you keep changing your mind. Is it conclusive or do I have to go back at 6 months. Is insertive oral sex dangerous or not??? You say no now you are changing your mind again. HELP

Hi,

Rather than saint or sinner, what I really am is a scientist. My advice remains very consistent. I have not said "oral sex is not dangerous!" What I've said is that insertive oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. I stand by that assessment.

I still consider your four-month negative test, based on the information you provided, to be definitive. If for whatever reason you remain worried, the option to get a six-month test is always open to you. Personally, I don't feel it's warranted and I'm very confident the results should you decide to re-test would again be negative.

Dr. Bob

Saint to Sinner Part II Nov 17, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob

I want to apologize to you for using the title saint to sinner. I had no right to speak to you like that. You are a saint in my eyes. I just am so tired, frustrated and sacred and I took it out on you. I went to a gay massuer who gave me oral sex. I didn't expect it and made the mistake of allowing him to do it. I wish I could take that day back because I have been obsessed by this event for 5 months. I just need to take this off my plate. It is consumming me. I went to GMHC in New York and got a 8,10,12,15 and 18 week test with the finger prick. I wanted a test at 5 months to make me feel more confident of the results. I can't get the 6 month rule out of my head. I keep thinking of the what ifs....what if I am the exception to the rule. They will not give me another test. They said that I am conclusive...I am just so afraid they are wrong. I am upset and scared and I took it out on you and for that I am truly sorry. I know you are a saint for what you do and I pray for you everytime I think of you. Please accept my apology. I am going to go to GMHC wednesday and hope to talk them into another test just to make me find closure...Say a pray for me...Sorry again my friend...:(

Hi,

Apology accepted. Now we can be BFFs again.

If you insist on a six-month test and GMHC won't test you, you could go to your private doctor for the test or do a home test kit. (The Home Access Express test is FDA approved.) I agree a six-month test in your case is not medically indicated. However, if it puts your (unwarranted) fears permanently to rest, it may be worth the effort psychologically. I have absolutely no doubt the test result will once again be negative.

Be well. (Yes, you are indeed well.)

Dr. Bob

Saint to Sinner Part III Nov 19, 2009

Hi BFF,

Just got back from GMHC. They gave me my 6 month test...NEGATIVE...Woooooo HOOOOO!!!! Thanks for being there for me and again, I am sorry for being an ass and will always love ya...BYE

Hi,

Congrats. WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Saint to Sinner Part IV Jan 21, 2010

Hi Doctor Bob,

You were wonderful to me a lot lately. I have a quick question. I did get my 10, 12, 24 week hiv test back negative. I felt so happy. Now I have painful glands under my arm and groin. Could it be late seroconverting? Is it possible to go from negative to positive at 24 weeks? Afraid to test again. What do you think? Sorry to bother you again....Thanks my friend..

Hi,

Could you be late seroconverting? Nope. Once again, it is your fear of HIV, not HIV itself, that's the problem! Counseling (psychotherapy) might help you to conquer your unwarranted HIV fears.

Good luck. Be well. Stop perseverating on a disease you could not possibly have!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Are acute HIV symptoms contagious?
Next
hiv risk? will donate please answer going nuts about this.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.