Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Barber Shop Blood - ARS Time Frame and Realistic Conern! Please Help Dr., Please!
Feb 17, 2010

Dr. Fascino

Again, let me say, thank you so very much for all that you do...You help so many people. This being my second question asked, I feel that another donation is needed, and luckily payday is just around the corner!

Ok, now my real scare and concern.... Around 6 weeks ago I went to get my haircut. Simple enough right. Well, as the Barber was cutting my hair, she cut her finger, which then started to bleed. Quickly, she ran to cover it with a band aide, and came right back to finish cutting my hair. Well, there was still blood visible, escaping from her horrible attempt at "band aiding" the wound. My haircut was done in less than a minute later, then, to MY HORRIBLE SURPRISE, she wiped off the little hairs on MY FACE with the HAND AND FINGER THAT HAD FRESH, BLEEDING BLOOD ON IT. Making contact with my eyes, nose, and possibly mouth! I raced home and jumped in the shower. Rinsed out my mouth with mouthwash, etc... I worried for a few days, felt there was a real risk...Then, exactly 2 weeks later (RIGHT IN THE ARS TIMEFRAME) I came down with a fever, cold, runny nose, sore throat, swollen glands, swollen lymph nodes, night sweats, and small rash! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. now I was horrified. Scared. 2 weeks have passed since then, and I still have lingering runny nose, but guess what, and the other night my boyfriend came down with FEVER, NIGHT SWEATS, SORE THROAT, HEADACHES, and other ARS SYMPTOMS! (and we haven't been seeing eachother much over the past weeks so there is no way I could have gotten him sick - only through sex is my guess) I haven't told him how scared and worried I am --- but could this all be related to the barber cutting her finger, and getting small amounts of FRESH BLOOD on my Mucus Membrane's - eye, nose and possibly mouth! 1.) I am convinced that this is related. That this is a real risk. BLOOD. FRESH BLOOD...FOLLOWED BY MY ARS SYMPTOMS RIGHT IN THE TIME LINE AND NOW MY BOYFRIEND who I think I must have infected 2.) I don't think I can wait 6 months to be tested for this. I am going crazy about it. The SYMPTOMS ARE JUST SO SCARY.

DR. FRANSCINO, please advise me as to what to do here. I'm not quite sure. The time frame, the blood, the symptoms, this is all to crazy to be a coincidence - it all matches up with risks and symptoms.

Sincerely, Scared and Concerned, O

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello O,

Too crazy to be a coincidence? I certainly don't think so! Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. I doubt the bleeding barber transferred fresh blood into your eyes, into your nose or into your mouth! Please note, the eyelids, outside of the nose and lips are not mucous membranes! Your fears are unwarranted. If my reassurance and reading through the extensive archives of this forum are not sufficient for you to shake your worries, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. (You don't have to wait six months.) The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Followup to "Mutual j/o with some hiv+ semen present on uncircumcized penis"
Next
Are acute HIV symptoms contagious?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.