Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV test results
Feb 17, 2010

I'm worried about my test results please help me. I just had an ectopic pregnancy, laproscopy, and d&c done on dec 31st I asked to be tested for everything. My results are as follows HIV 1/0/2 abs-imca HIV 1/0/2 ABS-INDEX VALUE 1.21 (FLAG) HIGH index value: Specimen reactivity relative to the negative cutoff. 1/0/2 Abs, Qual (FLAG) ABNORMAL (REFERENCE INTERVAL) NON REACTIVE. THEN ON NEXT LINE IT SAYS REPEATEDLY REACTIVE and goes into information about hiv 1 and 2 the western blot was done and reads as follows HIV ABS/WB :WESTERN BLOT INTERP: RESULT: INDETERMINATE Specimen could not be determined either positive or negative repeat testing in 4-6 weeks is recommended.All said absent for gp160,120, p65,55,51,31,24 but the gp40ab says equivocal and the p18 says equivocal. I went for a viral load test today and want to know what to make of these results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

In essence you had an indeterminate HIV-screening test consisting of a repeatedly reactive (positive) preliminary antibody test followed by an indeterminate confirmatory Western Blot (WB). Based on the band pattern on the WB, it's most likely you are HIV negative and your preliminary reactive test was a "false positive." False-positive/indeterminate HIV-antibody tests can be caused by a number of different things, including nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies that can be produced during pregnancy. Read through the chapter on pregnancy in the archives of this forum. There you'll find many similar testimonials. Most likely your HIV PCR RNA viral load will be undetectable.

Write back if you need additional assistance or if your viral load is elevated. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Cunnilingus and ejaculation. Should I be tested?
Next
Sex between 2 poz guys (SUPER INFECTION, 2010) (SEX BETWEEN TWO HIV POSITIVE PARTNERS, 2010)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.