Here's one for YOU, Dr. Bob. PLEASE PRINT, despite your humilty

Dear Dr. Bob,

How are you? In my religion, today marks the beginning of Lent, the most important act of selflessness and kindness in Christianity. Despite the controversy surrounding the church right now, I couldn't help but reflect on important acts of kindness that I have witnessed letely.

I cannot think of a more selfLESS act than the work that you partake in everyday. Hour after hour, concerned patients consult you. They express worry, devestation, and loss of control over a disease that you struggle with and cohabitate with each day. I cannot imagine the moral fortitude and emotional strength that you have to muster up in order to console your "worried wells." You are truly the picture of strength, courage, and optimism. Not only that, but your educational level, humor, and ability to communicate are extraordinary. I am sure that as a practicing physician you had wonderful bedside manner, and had many patients who loved (and still love) you dearly. I wish you the best in the future. People like you are few and far between. Thank you for giving so many people hope. Because there definetely IS hope. Thank you and all the best.

kid in NYC

Hello Kid in NYC,

Your very warm and generous comments are very much appreciated. I've always found helping others in need to be both an honor and a privilege, be they "worried well" or "truly sick." Even with the challenge of living with HIV, I still feel I'm the luckiest guy in the galaxy for so very many reasons. I've also learned over the years that whatever we give in the true spirit of compassion and generosity is returned to us a thousand fold.

May the spirit of Lent pervade us all.

Be well.

A little rubbing + a little wetness = a lot of fear.
accepting possibility, need strength to test (WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN KILL YOU, 2009) ( IS IT BETTER TO GET HIV TESTED OR NOT TO KNOW, 2010)