Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

curious
Feb 16, 2010

In april I had an hiv test done with results of a positive elisa and a indeterminate wb. In may I went to another doctor and the test came back negative. I tested again in october and it also came back negative. I may sound a lil nuts but should I be worried about this still? The last time I had unprotected sex was in janurary with someone I love and trust. I am female and heterosexual. I have had unprotected sex before with men I had long term relationships with but prior to may I also had negative test results on both rapid testing and regular testing. What could have caused this? I did not go back to the first dr for results because his stupid nurse told me over the phone and I figured they were incompetent. I'm driving myself crazy, please help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your reactive (positive) ELISA and indeterminate Western Blot test in April were false positive/indeterminate. This is conclusively proven by your subsequent negative HIV-antibody tests obtained immediately after the initial tests and again in October. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing (or worrying) is warranted. There are many potential causes for false-positive/indeterminate HIV-antibody tests. You can read more about this topic in the archives of the forum. I won't bother reiterating that information here. The bottom line is that you are definitively, conclusively, absolutely and WOO-HOO-ably HIV negative, OK?

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Question à propos du don de sang
Next
PLEASE DON'T THROW ME TO THE DOGS QUITE YET ,, Dr. Bob.... I trust you !! Last inquiry -- Promise.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.