Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OMG did I infect my partner? Pls help!
Feb 16, 2010

Hi, Dr Bob!

This question may seem unusual, but I guess it's not as outlandish as some! This virus found me about 8 years ago. My partner didn't leave me! That in and of itself was soemthing I couldn't believe. He stayed with me through ER visits and everything. He doesn't have this monster.

But..and here comes the 'but'..but I was cooking, cut myself, got blood on the counter, and didn't realize it. Well, neither did he until he touched it. The thing is: he has two papercuts on his fingers from file folders (sorting for tax season!) that are at different stages of healing. One looks like part scab but might still be oozing clear liquid. And..as would have it..that's the one that might have touched the blood.

The thing is..we don't know for sure. He said he didn't feel wetness, and that he didn't see red. So, he washed his hands and went on his way.

I am worried as HEll. Nightmares, even. I know what this is like and I don't wish this on anyone. I'm awiting for test results this Thursday to see how virally ehnance I am at this point!

As I say..he's not worried, but should I insist on testing? Is this a risk to him? What should we do? Would he have felt wetness or seen anything? How fast does this die? How much does it take to infect? I don't know that he touched alot..I just don't know anythign at this point!

Please help! And thank you..thank you for being here for all of us!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The risk of HIV transmission is essentially nonexistent. Your worries are unwarranted. To put your unwarranted fears permanently to rest, your partner could get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. Even though it is not warranted medically for him, it may make you feel better! I'd also suggest both you and your Mr. Happily-Ever-After read through the information in the chapter on magnetic couples in the archives of this forum.

Be well. Stop worrying!

Dr. Bob

Previous
I NEED HELP! WORRIED MAKING ME SICK!!!!!!!
Next
Question à propos du don de sang

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.