Quick Follow-up - In The Middle of the Night

Dear Dr Bob

Thank you! It put my mind at ease. I have an appointment to see a shrink as this incident just can't seem to get out of my head. This is because I had rectal bleeding after this incident three days in a row and still have rashes on my butticks. I was diagnosed as having anal fissures. If indeed I was being anally-raped, would I have gotten up immediately from my sleep? Are there any signs one could look out for if one was assaulted in such a way?

This might at first glance sound ridiculous but if you could, should you have some free time, answer the above questions, it would put my mind much more at ease.

Thank you again, LostBoy

Hello Lost Boy,

If you were being anally raped, I can assure you that you would have known.

I'm glad you have an appointment to see a psychiatrist.

In The Middle of the Night Jan 30, 2010

Dear Dr Bob

I need your advice. I am a heterosexual male, and I live alone. A couple of weeks back, my house was broken into in the middle of the night through a window that was smashed. This was a window in the room that I was sleeping in. I was under very drowsy medication and so I was in very deep sleep. It appeared what was a dream in which this burglar had sexually assaulted me (anal sex specifically as I was naked on the bed). I woke up thereafter, and heard a loud bang on the front door. I ran to the front door but the burglar had escaped. Funnily, nothing was stolen. I thought what appeared to be a sexually-assaulted episode to be just irrational fear so I let it go. But now I am running a high fever, feeling dizzy, having large red rashes on my buttocks, a bad sore throat, moth ulcers, and swollen lymph nodes. My irrational fears are getting the better of me to the point that I am convinced that the sexual assault actually did happen and I now have STDs especially HIV and Syphilis. I need your advice on what I should do. Should I go for STD/HIV testing? Or should I see a psychiatrist? Or should I just let it go? I am in constant worry now so will be very grateful for your reply. Separately, I am happy to make a modest donation to your foundation.

Thank You LostBoy

Hello Lost Boy,

You are a heterosexual male and you think someone smashed the window in your bedroom and you didn't notice because you were "under very drowsy medication," and the burglar sexually assaulted you by having anal sex with you, because you were "naked on the bed." You woke up when you heard the bang of the front door, ran to it, but the horned-up burglar had escaped. Do I have that right? And "funnily, nothing was stolen." And now you think you have HIV and syphilis. Oh my!

You're wondering if you should get HIV/AIDS tested or see a shrink? Definitely see a shrink! Lost Boy, you have issues bigger than the September issue of Vogue! I can assure you STD/HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. But you do have a problem! Show this post to your psychiatrist on your first visit. It will help him focus your treatment and speed your voyage of self discovery.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Good luck. Be well!

HIV risk-unusual transmission?? (MOUTH TO MOUTH CHAMPAGNE, SAKE, AND SHOTS, 2010))
PLEASE CLEARE MY BRAIN