Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV transmission thru urethra
Feb 16, 2010

Hi there, about 4 weeks ago I had some contact with the anal fluids of another guy. I was going to top him, but decided I wouldn't. I just fingered him and sort of penetrated him without going all the way in. I doubt this guy is HIV+ but there's always that chance. A few weeks later, I got a urinary tract infection - the whole works, diarrhea and everything, and took antibiotics which cleared it up. I was really startled to learn that HIV can enter through the urethra. But it makes no sense to me how anal "fluids" (whatever they might be...sweat or just ordinary liquid secretions?) could have a sufficiently high concentration of HIV to infect someone? It seems like nowadays it's just better to avoid sex altogether...everyone just seems to be a germ farm nowadays. Last year I had a really nice session of kissing with a guy, which resulted in a 6 week long upper respiratory infection (which he came down with too, but he didn't know it while we were making out.) Anyhow, any light you can shed on my urethral contact with anal fluid would be appreciated. Thanks for your time, -Andy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Andy,

The rectum is lined by a mucous membrane. Mucous membranes secrete mucous ("anal fluid"). Your nose and mouth also are lined with mucous membranes and they too are always "wet," right? HIV can permeate across mucous membranes (but not intact skin). As it turns out, the urethra is also lined with a mucous membrane. Consequently, if your unprotected tallywhacker's urethra comes into contact with infected anal fluid, HIV can be absorbed across the mucous membrane and result in HIV transmission/acquisition.

Why consider give up sex? Isn't it easier just to put a latex condom on your big bopper?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Mutual j/o with some hiv+ semen present on uncircumcized penis
Next
Dark Future or bright Future

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.