REPLY-reused cotton while taking blood for blood test

Dear Doctor Robert, THANK you VERY VERY much for finding time to answer my question. God Bless you. I wish you all the VERY BEST. You are an Angel. You deserve all the VERY BEST. Love from Cyprus :)

I will make a Donation

Hello Cypriot,

You are most welcome. Thanks for your thanks and your very kind donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well.

reused cotton while taking blood for blood test Feb 13, 2010

Dear Doctor Robert,

First I want to say that I really feel very PROUD of you!! You are an Angel!! Doctor, please excuse me if my question sounds crazy but I am extremely worried about it. My question is as follows: Last Wednesday I went to a laboratory for a routine blood test. Before the nurse starts the normal procedure of taking blood from my vain, she cleaned the area of my arm with cotton (with NO alcohol on it). At the beginning I thought that the cotton was clean but later on, I realized that the cotton had blood on it (not from me). Dear Doctor, if the blood on the cotton was from a previous patient with HIV positive, and left blood on my hand (while the nurse touched the cotton on me) and then the needle entered my vain for the blood test, could I get HIV? I am extremely worried because I am a mother with two kids and I think Im going to go crazy. PLEASE Doctor I am begging you, give me your advice. Should I worry? Doctor, Thank you very much in advanced. Note 1: I would also like to make a donation to your Foundation. Please tell me how. Note 2: I have asked this question again but I think something went wrong with my internet connection that is why I am sending you my worries/question ones more.

The HIV-acquisition risk from the scenario you describe is nonexistent. HIV doesn't live very long outside the body. Plus, there is no way a needle prick, such as the one you describe, could transfer enough HIV-tainted blood into you to cause an infection. Your worries are completely unwarranted.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at (www.concertedeffort.org). Thank you for your support!

Be well. Stay well. (You are indeed "well.")

Expansion to Australia
Thanks a lot Dr. Bob for answering my questions! I donated as a small gratitude!