Follow up ( I know i have HIV!) (I KNOW I HAVE IT, 2010)

Hello doc, just updating u on my test results as u requested. I went to see the HIV specialist and was told that both the HIV RNA viral load n the antibody test was negative @ 12wks. So she said that I can forget about HIV. However something that caused me to be concerned is the fact that she ran test for alot of other virus, herpes, hep B. Tests show that my levels of CMV are high (13.2). I freaked out i guess, since i know CMV is an OI. I asked if that could b causing my systems (Lymphadenopathy) and she replied maybe. So i am a bit scared now. But i guess that is something else i need to go and look into. HIV is not my problem anymore and like people say, u cannot diagnose people by symptoms since alot of the symptoms are associated to other disease. i am guessing since CMV is a viral disease, that could be triggering my lymph nodes. I dont know. But i just wanna say doc that i thank u for everything, please update ur blog more often and stay strong. By the way nice puddle.

WOO-HOO! See, I told you that if you wrote back when you've had a definitive HIV test, we would WOO-HOO together. And here we are! WOO-HOO!!!! I think I'll start collecting stories like yours, "I know I have it" stories, so that as new I-know-I-have-it folks write in, I'll be able to refer them to a list of others who were 100% (in some cases, 110%) convinced they had HIV.

Regarding CMV, relax Max. Most likely your tests showed a past infection (CMV IgG). CMV is an extremely common ailment in all folks (HIVers and neggies) and in all age categories from unborn babies to old geezers. Most people in the U.S. have CMV by the time they reach their 40th birthday. Once a person gets it, he or she has it for life. Medicines do not rid the body of CMV, but they can be used to prevent and treat CMV disease when indicated. Most of the time CMV does not cause disease. It may cause an illness like mononucleosis. In folks with damaged immune systems, including HIVers with CD4 counts less than 100, CMV can cause vision problems and other serious health problems.

CMV is transmitted quite easily from person to person via close contact with body fluids, such as saliva, semen, vaginal/cervical fluids, blood, urine, tears and breast milk. You can acquire CMV by touching these infected fluids and then touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Folks can acquire CMV via sex, breastfeeding, blood transfusion and organ transplantation.

Hope this helps allay your fears that a positive test for CMV might be related to HIV. You do not have HIV. Stop worrying and start WOO-HOO-ing. I feel silly WOO-HOO-ing here all by myself. This was supposed to be a duet, remember?!?

I know i have HIV! (ANOTHER "I KNOW I HAVE IT" QUESTION, 2010) Feb 12, 2010

Dear Doc,

Let me just start off by saying that i love the work u do for HIV and the cause and i believe someday i will be in ur shoes doing the same for others. I want to let u know that i am 100% sure that i have HIV. Let me tell u what happened. On 11/20 i had a risk with a girl of unknown status(condom breakage 2x same night). As of 11/27 i started to have ARS symptoms. It started with night sweats n diahreaa then on 11/30 i started to get swollen lymph nodes on my neck. then lymph node issue became worst and now i have lymphadenopathy all over the body. I never knew what lymph nodes were prior to this incident. I have exp rash @ 3wks, thrush and swollen gums. As of now which is 11wks past exp i still have the lymphadenopathy, thrush, swollen gums and blurred vision and pain on my lower back and legs which i believe can be neuropathy. I am not exagerating my symptoms they are all very real.

Test that i have taken since then include Elisa @ 12 n 15 days n were negative DNA PCR by labcorp @ 18 days negative Oralswab @ 4wks negative Rapid HIV test and NAAT test @ 5 1/2wks negative Oralswab @ 6 1/2wks negative Unigold rapid test n NAAT test 7 1/2wks negative Clearview finger prick @ 9wks negative Oralswab @ 11wks negative

Now i know u will say that i have taken alot of test n all negative as of now, 1wk away from 12wks. So that i shud be fine. Well i have not felt fine since 11/27. I recently went to a infectious disease specialist and requested a HIV RNA viral load test to see how much of the virus is in me. I know that this test just like the NAAT have a good chance of having a false positive but i know that hiv is causing serious harm to my body n immune and i believe that the only reason why hiv has not yet been detected is due to my already compromised immune system. For years i have had GI issues. I wouldnt throw up or anything but usually had loose stool when eating certain foods, milk or can be described as IRS. So i guess after years that had an impact on my system.

1. What are the odds that HIV is hiding in my lymph nodes there for not creating antibodies?

2. Chances that I would have 2 false negatives from a NAAT test provided by the city of Chicago at both 5 1/2 n 7 1/2wks.

3. How coincedental is it that all these symptoms would appear 1wk after exp but not be associated with HIV? I c alot of people all the suddent get symptoms after exp even when protected n no condom breakage, unlike my case.

I guess i have been living the hardest 3 months of my life and i will never forget this period due to all that has happened. But i know that i will make the most of whatever the results are, even if viral load test shows detectible which i know it will. thank u and i hope to get a response from u.

take care and stay well!

Not another dude who is "!00% sure" he is HIV positive, despite repeatedly testing HIV negative??? You're like the fifth one tonight. There must be a full moon out or something, because loads of looney-tunes wackos are out in force! Getting you guys to face reality and use common sense is as difficult as nailing jello to a tree!

Dude, your HIV-acquisition risk is unprotected (broken-condom) sex with someone of unknown HIV status.

Your symptoms are more consistent with anxiety than HIV. I do not believe your immune system is "compromised" based on what you reported.

Addressing your specific questions:

1. Nonexistent.

2. Nonexistent.

3. It's a very common coincidence! Just check the archives for gazillions of similar stories.

Write back when you have your definitive HIV test and we'll WOO-HOO together I'll then add your post to the many others who were so wrong despite their 100% certainty!

Over-vigilant Anal Sex
lost cause (I KNOW I HAVE IT 2010)