Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pregnant for the 3rd time
Feb 13, 2010

my question is that i have had two abortions and this is my third which i'm planning to keep. However, when doing my ELISA test, it came back positive at wo different medical labs...SCARED AND WORRIED!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

A repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA test must be confirmed with a more specific test, such as a Western Blot test. That should be your next step.

It's also important to note that pregnancy can produce nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies, which can cause false-positive or indeterminate HIV-antibody test results. Read through the chapter on pregnancy in the archives of this forum for additional information.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Alqaeda 4 (ANOTHER "I KNOW I HAVE IT", 2010)
Next
i got my closure :-)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.