RE: Please - For My Children (ANOTHER PERSON ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED THEY WERE HIV POSITIVE BUT IN REALITY WAS HIV NEGATIVE, 2010)

Dear Dr. Bob,

I writing you today for two reasons: To tell you that you were right; and to thank you for being such an inspiration.

After writing you the last time I still could not accept the fact I was negative, so I met with a Dr. at the University of Miami who does HIV research. He was well aware of who you are. I presented him all of my labs, and told him of my symptoms. He also was in total agreement with you that I was negative.

Still not being convinced, I flew to Tampa to have Abbott's Real Time PCR M2000 performed. This test as you well know, is capable of detecting all known strains of HIV for groups M, N, and O. As you well may have predicted, is was non detectable. I have also had another EIA 1/2 done, along with a full blood work up which shows everything normal, including a ESR of 1. I have seen an opthmologist which said my eyes were fine, and that it is normal for a person of my age (45) to have some floaters (no CMV), and that I need reading glasses. I saw a gastro for my bowel problems, and he diagnosed IBS for which he gave me Librax. I have since gained 9 pounds. I saw an ENT for my ears, and he could not find anything wrong, but he said this could be related to sress/anxiety.

You have been such an inspiration and correct. I must have read every single email in the archives pertaining to "Am I infected" three times. I kept drilling into my head that you were right, and that I had to accept this. I came very close to putting an end to my life several times, but reading your responses to these questions, including the ones I asked, kept me going.

I just want to say a sincere "Thank You." To all of the worried wells out there, believe Dr. Bob when he tells you something. You cannot be convinced more than I was, that you are positive.

I am sending a donation of $25, because that is all I can afford right now. You are a great human being, and may God bless you always.

P.S. My teeth don't hurt anymore either.

Welcome back to the forum!

I'm delighted to hear the news! Not about the multiple (and unnecessary HIV tests and consultation), because I already knew you were HIV negative, but about your "shifting teeth"!!!

I'll repost below your original questions from October 2009 for our readers' edification. Thank you for your very kind comments and for writing back to share your good news and your newfound insights! WOO-HOO! I'll now add your testimonial to the archives where there is an exponentially growing list of folks 100% convinced they were HIV infected, but in reality were not. Hopefully others who find themselves in a situation like yours won't have to fly to Tampa just to tamp down their unwarranted worries!

Be well. Stay well. Thanks for your donation! And remember, don't let those teeth start shifting again, OK?

Please - For my Children Oct 29, 2009

Dr. Bob,

I need reassurance from a leading expert such as yourself so that I can more on. I will donate $50 to your foundation.

After potetial exposure 9 months ago, I've developed symptoms that appear suggestive to that of hiv: elevated temperature mainly in the afternoon to about 99.8;night sweats; swollen lymph nodes behind my left knee; floaters, including deterioration of vision up close to eyes; ringing in the ears; unable to sense warm temperatures, but sensative to cold air; muscle loss. Testing: Multiple EIA's 1/2; one P24; one WB; two PCR's RNA (Cobas Amplicor 1.5) out to the 9 months - negative My concern is that of a strain that is not being detected. Continued EIA's I think will be negative. Do I have a valid concern given all of these symptoms? Thank you - and I will donate.

Your multiple negative EIAs, p24 antigen and quantitative PCR RNAs out to nine months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted. (You've had way too many already!) Your fears about a viral strain not being detected are unwarranted. You are HIV negative.

"Symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. A negative HIV-antibody test taken outside the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time. I cannot diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet, but I can with absolute certainty advise you what's not causing them: It's not HIV! If you continue to perseverate on HIV despite the overwhelming and irrefutable evidence that you dodged the HIV bullet, you should consider psychological counseling to help you accept the truly wonderful reality of your definitive HIV-negative status.

You should be WOO-HOO-ing, not worrying.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

re: Please- For My Children Oct 30, 2009

Dr. Bob,

Thanks for your response, and I have donated. I forgot to mention two other symptoms -gurgling stomach with erractic bowel movements; and my teeth hurt and appear to be shifting. I know what you say about negative tests trumping symptoms, but these are real and overwhelmimg.I was told that if by chance it were a non M strain, it might have flawed the EIA, or at least have shown a band present in the WB. Would you agree? Thanks so much, and God Blees you.

Your "teeth appear to be shifting"???? You've been watching too many vampire movies.

As you pointed out in your post, I do indeed advise that negative tests outside the window period trump "symptoms" each and every time. That goes for gurgling tummies and shifty teeth as well!

I do not agree with your statement regarding Western Blots.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation! 
Be well. Stop worrying!

So stressed, please help !
Positive ELISA, Negative Western Blot, Negative NAT