Still worried, but getting counseling - please help.

Dr. Bob,

I appreciate all you've done for this community.

I had a strip club experience last week, and I feel awful about it. I went to a club, got about 7 lap dances, and somehow left with a cut on my hand. I noticed it when I got home and was in the shower, and it was still slightly bleeding!

I'm really worried I caught something, either from the lap dances (I kept my clothes on the entire time, but the girls were completely naked - surely jeans alone can't protect against everything can they?), or from the random cut that somehow got on my hand (more worried about this). My primary worry would be something like HIV.

Would it be likely to catch something either through the random cut (no idea how it got there, but it definitely happened while at the club), or through my jeans? Also, my nose was really dry and I remember going to the bathroom at some point, blowing it, and it bleeding a bit.... possible to transmit something by scratching the inside of my nose at some point during the night? Thank you.

I'm beginning to see a counselor for my anxiety, and also for the guilt I get when I go to strip clubs. But for now, I've tried to get this out of my mind for a week now, and it still hasn't left it. I will gladly make a donation.

Regards,

Worried!

Hello Worried,

Seven lap dances??? Seven??? Wow. The Badda Bing must love seeing you come through the door!

If you kept your jeans on all night, you needn't worry about contracting HIV. As for the mysterious cut, it would be an extremely unlikely means of contracting HIV, as you would need to have a significant exposure to fresh HIV-tainted bodily fluids (blood, vaginal/cervical secretions, etc.).

I'm glad you are seeing a counselor to address your anxiety and guilt issues. If you remain concerned despite my comments, you could get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative, but it may help put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest (where they belong!). Take a read through the archives. You should find the testimonials and information there both enlightening and reassuring.

Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test is negative. I'm confident it indeed will be negative!

I know i have HIV! (ANOTHER "I KNOW I HAVE IT" QUESTION, 2010)
I have searched the archives, no "wet" panties case! please help!