Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is HIV DUO test offered in US ?
Feb 12, 2010

Hi Doc, Is HIV DUO test offered in US.

I had a blowjob from korean prostitute(massage girl), I am becoming thin(lean) these days, having night sweats, with rashes on my Back. she used condom and as far as i remember it did not break. But, because of the above symptoms i am freaking out.. planning to take a HIV test - 1.what do you suggest? 2. You said testing is not warranted - but, with the above symptoms looks like i have to take test.- what do you say ? 3. Is HIV Duo test offered in US- if so can i take the test ? 4. What do you suggest in my situation ? (fever after 2 days of exposure and white Rashes on my back are suggestive of Acute syndrome (4b)i heard that Hiv rashes are Red and raised - is this true)?

Please answer doc. i am for sure going to donate for your foundation. because, the help and support you are providing is exceptional and i am impressed. May lord be with you and all.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The "VIDAS HIV DUO" test is not available in the U.S. and is not FDA approved. However, basically the HIV DUO combines an antibody test for HIV-1 and HIV-2 with an HIV p24 antigen test. An HIV-antibody test plus p24 antigen is termed a 4th generation HIV testing assay. Fourth generation HIV tests are available in the U.S.; however, the particular one you mention (VIDAS HIV DUO) is not. The fourth generation tests offer better sensitivity and equivalent specificity as third generation assays. Simultaneous testing of p24 antigen plus HIV antibodies may decrease the time-lapse (window period) between acquiring the virus and being able to diagnose the infection. During the first few weeks after primary HIV infection, p24 is produced and often can be detected in the blood. It's important to note, however, that not everyone's viral strain or immune response is identical.

Responding to your specific questions:

1. Any FDA-approved HIV diagnostic test at the three-month mark, if testing is warranted or if you remain worried.

2. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. A condom-protected blow job is not a significant HIV risk. Testing is not indicated.

3. No, but other fourth generation assays are.

4. I would suggest you stop worrying about HIV and search elsewhere for the cause of your symptoms. If you can't stop worrying, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The rash associated with acute retroviral syndrome is generally reddish and somewhat bumpy.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well.

Bob

Previous
Hey Bob..can you answer the question on the DUO HIV test ..i posted yesterday
Next
Symptoms after 6 Months/Conclusive Oral Test? RISK?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.