Hello Dr. Bob, every minute day and night, i am hoping that you will respond to my question. Today i called to take an appoinment with ID doctor here in Dallas, they say they need refferal to get an a

Dr. Bob, Thank you for your precious time. I am still not able to put this beyond me. You have told that most of the cancers do not affect the window period or the reliability of the HIV antibody test result. Does that mean that some of the cancers have effect on the HIV antibody test result? I have been doing lot of research on the internet, i have also read that terminal cancer may effect the reliability of HIV antibody test. I will be honest with your Dr. Bob, i dont know if i have any cancer, i only doubt i might have it, because i drank so much alchol and smoked so much over the years. I went to the physciatrist yesterday, i am on medication for the OCD. I don't know how to put this beyond me. Do you think if indeed i might have some sort of cancer which might affect the reliability of the HIV 1/2 antibody test result, should i get a PCR test. What would you advice if i was your brother? Please help me brother. Last year i took life insurance for 30 yrs, they took my blood i don't know what they tested for.

This was my previous question for which you answered.

Dr. Bob, I have been smoking a pack of cigarettes every day for the past 13 years and drinking too much beer every day for the past same 13 years, due to some sort of problems in my life. But right now from the new year 2010, I am in the process of cleaning up my act, after seeing how my health is spoiling. I always used to have elevated liver enzymes because of my drinking. I am confident that i can make an amazing come back, when it comes to smoking and drinking, and concentrate on my career, family life etc. One year back I had unprotected sex with a person, whom I dont know much about. After that I got the HIV antibody tests HIV1/HIV2 done three times, at 3 months, 6 months and 10 months interval after the exposure. All of them are antibody tests. My question is a) Because I have been smoking and drinking so much, will that delay the sero-conversion or will it have an effect on the HIV antibody test result, by causing a false negative result. Do you think I need a PCR test to make sure I dont have HIV? They say that smoking and drink causes immunesuppression, so that is why I am worried. b) One other thing I am also worried about is what if I already have cancer, I dont know if I do have cancer or if I dont have cancer. Because I smoked so much, I am thinking that I have chances of having cancer. I dont know what test to be tested for cancer. Right now I am 36 year old. If I have cancer, would that have an effect on the HIV antibody test result, or will it affect the widow period or delayed sero-conversion, do I need a PCR test if that is the case? Please doctor I need your advice? Dr. Bob, sorry i forgot to tell you that all my HIV antibody test results upto 10 months were negative. (Submitted Jan 13, 2010) Dr. Bob, I was reading through the previous question that i submitted like an hour ago, in which i forgot to tell you that my HIV antibody test results came out to be negative.

Hi, A. Cigarette and alcohol abuse will not affect the duration of the window period or accuracy of HIV tests. PCR testing is not necessary. B. Your doctor can evaluate you for medical problems related to your cigarette and alcohol abuse. There is no one test for cancer. Most cancers would not affect HIV-antibody test results or duration of the window period. I applaud your decision to clean up your act. Certainly if you don't, the cigarettes and booze will plant you six feet under long before HIV! Dr. Bob

Back again???

Dude, cancers are very significant illnesses. You'd know if you had terminal cancer, because you'd be on your deathbed, OK? You're OCD is OOC (out of control)! Continue with your psychiatric care and OCD medications. PCR testing is not warranted.

Dr. Bob... I know you are busy but please answer.
when is the right time to start having sex again.