The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Irrational fear of HIV 2010

Feb 12, 2010

Dr. Bob, is it possible for irrational fear of HIV to go away without the help a psychiatrist? I know I don't have HIV (been tested way too many times) and I'm still worried. Because of this fear, I've stopped having any sexual contacts (not even kissing). Will this ever go away? I'm reluctant to visit a psychiatrist; this is bound to be too expensive, and besides, I don't feel comfortable discussing personal matters with a stranger. Except for this HIV fear, I don't fear other illnesses, and I don't have OCD. Thank you, Dan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Dan,

It's possible, but unlikely. You've been tested "way too many times," and you've "stopped having any sexual contacts (even kissing)"!!! If those aren't indications that your irrational fears are severe and hampering your physical and emotional well-being, I don't' know what is! Yes, psychiatrists can be expensive. Sometimes a psychologist (less expensive) or counselor (even less expensive) might be able to help with psychotherapy to help you confront and conquer your paranoid fears; however, only the psychiatrist (MD) is licensed to prescribe medications if needed. If you don't feel comfortable discussing personal matters with a stranger, just show the therapist this post and my response. He will know how best to approach the issue and your lack of comfort discussing it.

Good luck Dan.

Dr. Bob

$50 for quick question!!
positive ELISA, reactive IFA, no risk....

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint