Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Sick of a possible HIV exposure
Feb 10, 2010

Hi Doctor Bob

This is my question... I had vaginal sex with a sex worker a week ago.. I used a latex condom... It was provided by her but I remember seeing the brand name "durex" on the pack. Here's what happened... I was having vaginal intercourse for about 20 minutes... After this time I was getting kind of bored of the act so my penis softened a bit... But she just kept going without noticing this... (She was on top of me) Then I started feeling a slight burning sensation on my penis (side of it) so I took it out.. When I had a look at it, the head of the penis was totally covered with the condom... but due to the shrinkage the tip of the condom was squished... When I took my penis out of her vagina, she just removed the condom and gave me a hand job... Since I did not ejaculate in the condom I have no idea whether this condom failed or not. so could you please give me your opinion on 1. How is it like when a condom breaks ? (ie: do you feel it/How does a broken condom look like?)

2. Where does a condom normally break ? (i.e : The tip of it? I only examined the top view of my penis (I was lying down on my back when I took it out of the vagina) I dont know whether it was broken from the underside. Is it possible to have the head part of the condom intact and the portion that covers the shaft could be ripped?

3. Do you think that I should get tested?

I am soo worried about this matter and this is getting in the way of everything I do.

Please answer my question doctor bob. I will make a donation soon,,,

thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The information and reassurance you request is already waiting for you in the archives! Have a look.

Briefly:

1. When a condom breaks, it's usually not subtle. Remember, latex condoms are really just pieces of very thin plastic stretched over a throbbing giant tallywhacker. Add to that the friction of the ol' in-and-out, and you can begin to imagine what happens when a condom fails. It tears and rips dramatically. Mr. Happy's head generally comes popping out just like your head pops out of a turtleneck sweater.

2. Usually the top, as that's where most of the pressure is.

3. If you're worried, and clearly you are, you should get tested at the three-month mark. However, so long as the business end of your big bopper (the head) remained enshrined in latex, your HIV-acquisition risk remains negligible.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test is negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Proove my boss wrong, please!
Next
Advice on past tests and recommendation for more

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.