The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

still have symptoms but test negative

Feb 8, 2010

I began getting sick about four weeks after an encounter in May. I am never sick, but I had all the ARS symptoms- myalgia, blurred vision, frequent urination, diarrhea, etc. Some of them are still with me- sore throat, difficulty swallowing, tongue ulcerations, fatigue (my 80 year old mother has more energy than I), lack of appetite, bloated stomach, pimples/folliculitis, mild headaches, blurred vision... the list goes on. My doctor can't figure out what's wrong since all my blood tests come back normal (my sugar and liver enzymes were high but have returned to normal). My doctor thinks I am nuts (since hiv is a homosexual disease) so he put me on antidepressants in July (Effexor). My hiv antibody tests have come back negative- even after eight months. What the heck is wrong with me??? Going crazy here in Ontario, Canada

Response from Dr. Frascino


If your doctor thinks "HIV is a homosexual disease," you should fire him immediately and find a more competent physician, as he is woefully wrong.

I can't diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet. However, what I can do with complete confidence is advise you what is not causing your symptoms: It's not HIV! Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to eight months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted (Many of the symptoms you mention, by the way, have nothing to do with HIV!)

If you've had a thorough evaluation, including laboratory tests, which has failed to determine the cause of your symptoms, you could get a second opinion. If again no physical cause can be identified, you should consider psychosomatic illness. Counseling (psychotherapy) may be quite helpful.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

HIV syphilis and oral sex
Thank you My Doctor Bob... Mommy of Three

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint