The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV syphilis and oral sex

Feb 8, 2010

Please help! I am terrified! I performed oral sex on someone who contacted me three weeks later and told me that he had tested positive for syphilis. After going to get tested, he leveled with me and told me that he also tested positive for HIV. I have had no syphilis symptoms but I am on antibiotics until i receive the results of my blood test. I know based on other forum answers I need to wait to insure accurate results from an HIV test. What is my risk considering that he had syphilis as well? There was no ejaculation in my mouth and I did not notice and visible sores on his penis. I washed my mouth with Scope afterward, did that increase my risk of being infected? I should get syphilis results in a few the meantime I can think about anything else. Thanks in advance for your help.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Syphilis is much more easily transmitted and acquired than HIV. Having syphilis concurrently with HIV can increase the HIV-transmission risk. Syphilis, like other STDs, can also increase the HIV plasma viral load, further increasing the HIV-transmissions risk. That there was no ejaculation and that you did not notice any visible sores on his Mr. Happy decrease your HIV-transmission risk somewhat. The use of Scope would not increase your risk for acquiring STDs (including syphilis and HIV).

Good luck with your upcoming tests!

Dr. Bob

Ars or Swine Flu question + donation.
still have symptoms but test negative

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint