repeated unprotected vaginal intercourse with sex workers.

i expect myself to test positive. I always been very careful and always used condom in the past when i went with prostitutes until 6 months ago, i come across a study saying that the chance of getting hiv from unprotective vaginal intercourse are 5 in 10.000! that day i went cookoo...and change my sexual behavior. since then i got gonorrhea twice and now, with a bit of fever and my lymph node swollen i'm at home reading what to do when i will be positive! i'm the biggest idiot on the planet...but i'm sure i'm not alone...that publication as it is, for persons like me, is a sure "hiv for life" sentence!

I often worry that HIV statistics, such as the one you saw, could be misinterpreted. These estimated statistical risks are meant primarily to demonstrate relative risk and should not be applied to any one individual situation to assume real risk. There are many variables involved with HIV transmission, including both those relating to the virus (viral strain, viral load, etc.) and to the host (immune integrity, concurrent STDs, trauma, etc.). These must all be taken into consideration when considering the actual risk of an individual sexual coupling.

I agree with your decision to get tested and to stop putting yourself at risk. It's important to note that even in spite of your reckless barebacking behavior, there is still a chance you dodged the HIV bullet! Gonorrhea and many other STDs are much more easily contracted than HIV. Your current symptoms of fever and swollen lymph glands could be related to many underlying conditions other than HIV. Don't convince yourself you're HIV positive before getting your test results!

If you do test positive and it's confirmed, write back if you need assistance. (There is a wealth of information on this Web site!) If you test negative, you'll need follow-up tests at three months and six months from the time of your last potential exposure to confirm your negative status.

Fingers crossed! Good luck.

Autopsy
pregnant, worried, scared , hope you can answer, please help