HEP C and HIV Clarification=Not Clear Please Please Answer

Hi Dr. Bob,

Thank you for taking my question. I have checked the archives and I am still not clear on the HEP C and HIV testing guidelines. I have read through the archives and I wondered if you could please tell me if this is correct. For those that have blood exposure, should they automatically test for both HIV and HEP? If so, is the window period 12 weeks for both, and you could test at that time and receive accurate results? If you could answer this it would be a great help. There seems to be a lot of confusion on this matter and I would like to test at 12 weeks, and be confident with the results rather than wondering if it is accurate. Thank you so much for your time and your service.

Yes, I would recommend screening for both HIV and hepatitis C for those with significant blood exposure. (You can be immunized against hepatitis A and B, thereby virtually eliminating those risks.)

Yes, a window period of 12 weeks would suffice for both HIV and hepatitis C, barring extenuating circumstances.

You're welcome!

can i move on because i am planning to get married? Thank you.
Completely sick with taking PEP, and thinking about stopping, HELP!