PLEASE DOC.... PATIENT TO DENTIST INFECTION.... PLEASE READ ASAP

DOC, thank you for reading this....I CAN'T SLEEP. I haven't been tested for HIV. I've been sexually active (oral sex) for the last five years. Let's assume I'm positive, I know it's unlikely, but let's assume it. I've been going to my family dentist for the last 5 years, he's a family cousin. The last two visits for cleaning, he DID NOT use proper guidelines like covering his eyes, and I'm just scared I could have infected him by splashing blood. His wife is also a dentist there and I'm scared/worried to go back there, but I know if I won't they'll come drag me over themselves for check-ups. Please answer some questions for me.

1. What are the chances of HIV being transmitted by blood splashing (I'm assuming it was)? 2. What are the chances he could give HIV back to his patients (which includes my brother and parents)? I've read of cases where it has happened, but I can't picture how a dentist would give it to the patient? 3. Assuming I am positive after a test, I CANNOT inform him and I hope you understand, so....Do dentists/doctors go through HIV testing on a routine basis?

Doc, I'm just really more scared for his health, than mine, and the possibility he might infect his wife through intercourse?

I appreciate your time doctor. You have know idea how much this means to me. You always calm me down when I read your posts. THANK YOU.

"Let's assume I'm positive. I know it's unlikely, but let's assume it." WHAT???? Dude, why assume anything when it's so incredibly simple to know one way or the other with a simple rapid HIV test??? Results are available in as few as 20 minutes, probably less time than it took you to post this question! Why guess and worry about hypothetical situations when there is absolutely no reason to do so? As Mr. Spock would say: "That's not logical." It's pure mental masturbation! So rather than delving deeply into your "what ifs," I'll instead just make a few quick comments and then encourage you to get your butt down to the testing center to put an end to all this nonsense.

Your dentist didn't break any laws by not using protective eyewear while performing routine dental cleaning. (They are optional.) Your chances of transmitting HIV to him are negligible. The chances he then transmitted HIV to his wife, your brother and your parents are, well, beyond negligible. Doctors and dentists are not required to have routine HIV testing nor is there any scientific or medical rational to do so!

Now, turn off the computer, grow a set, and go get tested. You'll be glad you did. It will put an end to ridiculous worries, like the one you are writing about.

Finally moving in a direction, but still worried about HIV.
seeking closure