Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fear remains
Jan 30, 2010

Hello doc, I have got myself tested 18 times so far in the last five months and its all be negative. Looks like my suspicion and fear has no limits.

I first suspected myself to be HIV when a local doc here said that I should get myself tested for having Mollasscum and got myself tested every week for three months and it was negative.

Later, I suspected a friend of mine when I met him in a bar that he would have poked me with a syringe when I dropped him in my scooter. I got myself tested many times after that for three months. It turned out to be negative.

The third time, I suspected the lab itself by thinking that the lab technician would be HIV + and must have been carrying a contaminated needle and injected me when she drew my blood, because I did not observe her opening a new syringe.. I got myself tested else where few times and it turned out to be negative. Its been two months since then.

Now, Recently when I got myself checked the eighteenth time, I saw the guy there opening a new syringe, but still suspect him. Looks like, it is going out of my hand.

Doc, I leave in India, Bangalore and have met a couple of physiatrists and a few physiologists. But the fear still remains and it is driving me crazy. I am a married man and working. I need to support my family and be a role model to my son. But the way things are happening, I sometimes feel that I will loose them and will be doomed.

Doc, please help me. I would do anything to get out of this. I am sure you would know some one here whom you can refer. If need be, I can also come over there if you refer me a good physiatrist.

Please, please help.

Regards Sanju

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sanju,

Unfortunately I do not know a good psychiatrist in Bangalore, but I'm confident they exist. Your primary care doctor or local AIDS service organization may be able to refer you to someone who can help. Flying to San Francisco would not be reasonable, as psychiatric care often requires multiple visits. You'd rack up enormous quantities of frequent flyer miles, but I really doubt this is your best option. If you are planning an extended stay here in the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd be happy to refer you to an excellent psychiatrist.

I would certainly encourage you to continue to explore psychiatric care options, as your problem is definitely not HIV, but rather irrational fear of HIV!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV without penetration through underwear
Next
rapid test negative and lab test positive, how come ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.