Fear remains

Hello doc, I have got myself tested 18 times so far in the last five months and its all be negative. Looks like my suspicion and fear has no limits.

I first suspected myself to be HIV when a local doc here said that I should get myself tested for having Mollasscum and got myself tested every week for three months and it was negative.

Later, I suspected a friend of mine when I met him in a bar that he would have poked me with a syringe when I dropped him in my scooter. I got myself tested many times after that for three months. It turned out to be negative.

The third time, I suspected the lab itself by thinking that the lab technician would be HIV + and must have been carrying a contaminated needle and injected me when she drew my blood, because I did not observe her opening a new syringe.. I got myself tested else where few times and it turned out to be negative. Its been two months since then.

Now, Recently when I got myself checked the eighteenth time, I saw the guy there opening a new syringe, but still suspect him. Looks like, it is going out of my hand.

Doc, I leave in India, Bangalore and have met a couple of physiatrists and a few physiologists. But the fear still remains and it is driving me crazy. I am a married man and working. I need to support my family and be a role model to my son. But the way things are happening, I sometimes feel that I will loose them and will be doomed.

Doc, please help me. I would do anything to get out of this. I am sure you would know some one here whom you can refer. If need be, I can also come over there if you refer me a good physiatrist.

Please, please help.

Regards Sanju

Hello Sanju,

Unfortunately I do not know a good psychiatrist in Bangalore, but I'm confident they exist. Your primary care doctor or local AIDS service organization may be able to refer you to someone who can help. Flying to San Francisco would not be reasonable, as psychiatric care often requires multiple visits. You'd rack up enormous quantities of frequent flyer miles, but I really doubt this is your best option. If you are planning an extended stay here in the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd be happy to refer you to an excellent psychiatrist.

I would certainly encourage you to continue to explore psychiatric care options, as your problem is definitely not HIV, but rather irrational fear of HIV!

HIV without penetration through underwear
rapid test negative and lab test positive, how come ?