Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Seroconversion Scares
Jan 30, 2010

Hi Dr. I just want to thank you for the help you have provided me when I read all of your answers posted to other people. I was hoping you could help me answer mine. I had a one nighter with a female where the condom slipped off. She had reached climax and I hadn't yet when we stopped. I went and got tested within a week and it was negative. However at the 17 week mark and it came back Elisa low positive/negative western blot. So the nurse asked me to retest so after week 18 I received the same result. The worst part is I got a rash on my testicles a few days after possible exposure and at the 4 month mark I started having a sore throat and swollen and painful lymph nodes in my neck and groin. The clinic where I got tested has told me there is no chance that it is HIV but I am really scared that I could be seroconverting really late. The female it was with said she got tested and everything came out negative as well but how do you believe it without actually seeing it. Should I get retested as its been past the 6 month exposure mark. Am I just being paranoid. I really would hate to wait another week to 10 days for results, do you know of any places up here in canada that do quick testing. I have read many different things about how hard it is to get from a one night stand, is this true. Any help you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Relax Max! You're fine.

A positive ELISA plus negative Western Blot (WB) is considered a negative HIV screening test, because the WB is a much more specific test. In essence you've had repeatedly negative HIV-screening tests!

Stop worrying and start WOO-HOO-ing.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Bathhouses
Next
Hi Saint to Sinner back (SAINT TO SINNER part V)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.