Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

In the Bag
Jan 29, 2010

One of your sheep was lost, and is found. I am 'Barebacked Fool' (September 1, 2009). My 6-month test recommended by the CDC for (willful) exposure to HIV by barebacking for an HIV+ partner has come back negative ( - ). My 3 month test was also negative. My doozy WOO-HOO rips from sea (NY) to sounding sea (CA). Both my health and my top guns are now securely in the bag for the duration. I know I can count on you to keep telling us that my July 2009 spoonful of fun was not worth the 180-day-and-night vigil that led up to the results of my January 2010 lottery ticket that could easily have brought me catastrophic consequences. What if I had been a winner? Well, I did win by soaking up a dud ticket. I just made, as promised, a small contribution to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.com). You are a good shepherd, Dr. Bob. God bless you, your work, and all of yours. I love you. Septu Aginarian (on your blog)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

WOOO-de-frickin'-HOOO! I thought I heard your "doozy WOO-HOO" recently. (It was either that or another California earthquake.)

Thank you for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated. Once again, congratulations on dodging the HIV bullet. Be well. Stay well. And no more sexual Russian Roulette, OK?

Dr. Bob

Barebacked Fool Sep 1, 2009

Dr. Bob,

I know better but a guy I care for very much fucked me bareback for several minutes, did not finish, withdrew, put on a woman's condom and finished. There had been oral foreplay so there may have been precum which I know carries viruses. (Would saliva dilute the precum?) Later when I wiped there was a little blood. I have since learned that he is HIV+ and that he takes antiretroviral drugs (he is in apparent good health). My question is does the fact that he takes antiretroviral drugs lessen my obvious chances of becoming HIV+? It will be 3 months October 20 when I will certainly get tested and hope and pray I can WOOHOO (please, please send me good karma even though I acted like a fool - - I wanted him in me). (Do I have to hate myself or him?) Fucked Up

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I agree barebacking is a foolish and dangerous lapse in judgment. Both you and your positively charged top gun need to share the responsibility for this mistake. He, for knowingly putting you at great risk and you, for allowing him to do so.

Certainly barebacking places you at risk for STDs, including HIV. That you noted some blood when cleaning up potentially increases your HIV-acquisition risk. That your buddy is on HIV medications potentially decreases your risk. (Effective combination antiretroviral therapy that drives HIV plasma viral load to undetectable levels can significantly decrease HIV transmission risk.)

Oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. There are components of saliva that have antiviral properties, but this does not completely negate all risk.

It's also important to note that even with a documented HIV risk, not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission.

Good luck with your upcoming HIV tests. Please note the CDC recommends HIV-antibody tests at both the three- and six-month marks for significant HIV exposures.

I'm hopeful that by having to endure this entire experience you have learned that barebacking is not worth the potential catastrophic consequences.

I'm here if you need me, OK?

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP DR. BOB! PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP! AND A CHERRY!
Next
Victoria's secret model

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.