Broken condom and testing

Hello Dr,

I hate to bother you with my issues but I could use alittle bit of help. I am from Canada Eh!!...and I work most the year in Shanghai. I met a girl and hung out for a while and we happened to have sex the only problem is the condom was broken when I checked it in the morning..we both went for dinner which followed with a few drinks...this is probably why I did not notice. It probably was not a very long time after it broke )if at all) because the entire session was not too long!!. I panicked and asked her if she would tested for me and there was no problem because she said she only had 1 partner 1 year prior. So off we went to Parkway health which caters to ex patriota. The doctor we saw was an american!. They gave her the rapid test which was negative (thankfully). I came home and had a test at 18 days which was negative. I know the 3 month rule but it just ease my mind. I think the girl thought I was a little nuts because I kept talking to her about it. She could not understand after her negative test why I was so crazy about things..I can't understand it either but I have lived a life of worrying about HIV after every sex partner I have had even though it has always been protected and very few. I would like to hear some advice on the situation.

I plan on donateing some money to your wonderful foundation once I return from Haiti. I will going there in 2 weeks to help with the situation over there. I am part of an organisation based in South Dakota with a few friend s of mine from Canada. I have donated a lot of money to the releive efforts there and know it is time to do go and help. I want to go there with a clear mind and be focused on the job at hand not HIV so if you can give me some advice on my situation I would greatly appreciate it.

My local health department says I should not worry as she tested negative and I did at 18 days (although not conclusive they said some ppl do seroconvert by thos time especially with the new testing (INSTI rapid test).

I must thank you for being here to help ppl. I pray you stay healthy and enjoy every day of your long life!...take care.

While it is true that failed (broken)-condom sex carries the same STD risk as unprotected sex, your HIV risk is extremely low, because your gal-pal tested HIV negative after your wham-bam thank-you ma'am. The only way she could have transmitted HIV to you would have been if she were in her "window period" (HIV infected but not having high enough levels of anti-HIV antibodies to trigger a positive test result). The likelihood of this scenario is, of course, remote at best. Your 18-day negative test can be considered encouraging, but it's not definitive. For a conclusive HIV test result, you'll need to wait for the three-month mark. The odds, however, are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your Shanghai shenanigans.

Thank you for your efforts to help those in need in Haiti and your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. (The foundation is exploring ways to assure HIVers in Haiti continue to get their antiretroviral therapy.) In return for your magnanimous efforts, I'm sending you my best good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will always remain HIV free!

I was a bit concerned by your comment ". . . I have lived a life of worrying about HIV after every sex partner . . . ." That kind of persistent worry can be difficult to cope with, not to mention that it ruins the afterglow of a perfectly fine nookie! Have you considered counseling? Psychotherapy can be remarkably effective in helping folks cope with irrational fears and unwarranted worries. Sex is supposed to be fun, not anxiety provoking!

Good luck! Be well. Stop worrying.

Already HIV+, but re-exposed!
I messed up