Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

we will donate please help sir please
Jan 26, 2010

my wife and i just had a baby we passed a rapid at the clinic on sept 9th when going to deliver we were to early to get a clinic paperwork so they redid the rapid which was now positive...we then freaked out so they did another rapid which was neg now they furthered this by ordering a western blot...we were so freaked the doc said we could do an elisa the nurse came back 5 hours later and said it to was neg so we felt a little better....we then got news an hour ago that the western blot was indeterminate ...now we are awaiting a pcr test with the western what should we expect i dont THINK either has cheated and only had one exposure it was a gay best friend that got a bad cut on his head there was blood on my wifes hands and we dont know if he has hiv or not it was roughly 4.5 months to 6 months ago so basically we got a neg rapid sept 9th then a pos rapid jan 21st then a neg rapid jan 21st then a neg elisa jan 22nd now a indetminate westeren blot on jan 25th i think the worst .....we live in a small community which states there is only 21 cases in our whole county but i heard the doc say we were probably yes i am not sleeping and sick at my stomach this will be a long week wait please give me your best advise thank you oh yes 1 more thing i hear that inderterminate means its the early stages and the pcr is gonna be pos please please help donation Will be sent thanks again the doc also said there is something in her blood no matter what evenif it isnt hiv which he feels is very likly again please at least try to awnser we are losing it 4 days left please sir help

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. Consequently, so are your chances of being HIV infected.

Your sum of test results to date (negative rapid test on September 9; positive rapid test on January 21; negative rapid test on January 21; negative ELISA on January 22; and indeterminate Western Blot (WB) on January 25) would indicated you are HIV negative and that your positive rapid test on January 21 was a "false positive." False-positive and/or indeterminate HIV-antibody tests are not uncommon in pregnant women. Check out the archives of this forum. We have an entire chapter devoted to pregnancy. I'm confident you'll find this information there both enlightening and encouraging.

There are a number of potential reasons for indeterminate HIV-antibody test results. You can read about these in the archives. Assuming an indeterminate result automatically indicates early-stage seroconversion is not accurate or appropriate.

I'm quite confident your follow-up tests will confirm your negative HIV status.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Ars 3 months post exposure
Next
IGG2-subclass deficiency (UPDATE) (IgG SUBCLASS DEFICIENCY, 2010)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.