Pregnant and super paranoid. PLEASE HELP!Always looking out for potential transmission

Hi Dr. Robert, I love your dedication and hard work, i truly admire you. I am currently 5 months pregnant and have been paranoid with transmission of hiv for a few years. I am married and was tested 2 months ago and was negative(routine blood screening for pregnancy). I go out everyday only to come back home and wander if what i felt on my head today or in my eye was someone poking me with an hiv blood filled needle or splash in my eye.I am SO CONCERNED that i freak out about finally acquiring it during my pregnancy and passing it to my baby. PLEASE ADVISE ME. I always worry what if people who don't like me foloow me and know my fear and want to harm me and try to. What can i do to calm myself and not pass this parnoia to my child. I really look up tp you Doc please help me. Much love, B

Hello B,

I absolutely agree with you! You are indeed "super paranoid."

There can be no doubt your problem is fear of HIV rather than HIV itself. Consequently you need to address the "fear" component of your problem. Counseling (psychotherapy) would be your best option, as we would prefer not to use medicaments while you are pregnant. Irrational fears, whether they concern spiders, snakes, heights or HIV, are common problems that afflict many individuals. Confronting and conquering these unwarranted worries can be accomplished with the help of a psychologist or psychiatrist. I strongly encourage you to get the help you need. Remember, HIV is not your problem, but you do have a problem that is significant and amenable to proper treatment.

Condom failure - PEP side effects (PEP AND THE NEED FOR HIV SPECIALIST, 2010)
Unprotected receptive anal sex