Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV risk of faecal matter in a finger abrasion
Jan 25, 2010

Sorry Doctor, I made a mistake when I sent this before, so resending. Sorry if this is gross but I have to ask your advice: I was at a gay sex club last night and I started briefly fingering a guy in chaps who may well have been HIV+. Although I could not see any faecal matter when I removed my finger I could smell it. I washed my hands about five minutes later with soap (sorry not immediately, very gross!) but the water was NOT hot in the bathroom. When I got home I noticed a small superficial cut on the finger I'd used. I don't know how long it had been there. It was like a small and shallow paper cut. It may have happened after the incident (I cut another finger putting on my boots when I left the club but I'm not sure if I cut the finger I'm concerned about at the same time or earlier). If before, I think it must have been before I left home - so at least 1-1.5 hours before the incident. My question is: if the cut was there when this happened and the guy was positive, what are the chances of HIV infected faecal matter getting in the cut and infecting me? I'm not sure what counts as an open wound. Six hours after leaving the club the cut had closed up - but it still stings a little when I apply antiseptic. Does that make it an open wound and cause for concern? Please help. I am freaking out.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Poop that does not contain visible blood is not considered a risk for HIV transmission. (See below.) By the way, if you "let your fingers do the walking" into someone's back door, did your really think they'd come out smelling like lilacs?

Dr. Bob

hiv in nasal mucus? Aug 12, 2006

Dear dr. Frascino, does nasal mucus contain HIV and can an accidental ingestion of nasal mucus of a person with HIV and not on HAART be at risk? Thank you!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Nasal secretions similar to saliva, sputum, sweat, tears, urine, vomitus and feces are not implicated in the transmission of HIV, unless they contain visible blood.

Out of curiosity, how did you mange to "accidentally" chow down some HIV positive boogers?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Why are blood donation requirements so stringent?
Next
Just Found Out I am Pregnant! $50 DONATION!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.